1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Incubating Advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tim Carter, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Tim Carter

Tim Carter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    I'm new to incubating eggs this will be my first time. My Rite Farms 3600 Pro Circulated air incubator came in today. I set it up filled the water channels and set the temp to 100* as 99.7 is recommended. I will put 36 eggs in tomorrow evening after the unit equalizes.. Is there anything that I need to know to help this hatch be successful?

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    Start by reading this
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

There is alot of information and helpful links in there.
    Use your search bar at the top for any specific things you want to find out about.

Browse around this site, and be ready to get addicted to hatching! Haha

Welcome to BYC!! And good luck with your hatch!

3. Tim Carter

Oct 2, 2015
    What is the correct humidity to start incubating? My instructions say around 45% but I've taken most of the water out and it is still at 55%. What do I do? Will it effect the humidity when I add the eggs? The unit has been running since last night and staying really consistent.

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    Take all the water out and see where it goes. Many of us don't put any water in until the last 3 days.

5. Tim Carter

Oct 2, 2015
    Thanks for the tip. We will try this and post results.

6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    And one other thing you can do, instead of filling the channels with water, is use a sponge in a shallow dish, and add water to it. You can adjust the size of the sponge according to how much humidity you need.

7. Tim Carter

Oct 2, 2015
    Removed all water and humidity was holding at 29% added a little water and we are up to 35%. I guess keep adding a little at a time until proper humidity is reached.

8. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    I like that range, but it depends on your location and local humidity levels... and elevation if you are in a high elevation area.

Just keep in mind that humidity is based on surface area, not the amount of water. So you can use tall thin containers (like a tall shot-glass) if you just need a little, but don't want to keep having to add some every day...

9. Tim Carter

Oct 2, 2015
    [​IMG]. We just put our first 36 eggs going wish us luck.

10. Tim Carter

Oct 2, 2015
    Thanks for all the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by