Need Incubator Construction - Need Help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Panther Creek Poultry, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    I built a homemade incubator out of an igloo cooler. The cooler sits on the small end and the door opens to the left side. I installed a six inch fan hanging from the top and then a 75 watt light bulb in front of that so the fan would blow the heat off the bulb and down the front of the cooler door. I have the water pan right below the bulb and fan and it hangs on two rails on the side and has about an inch clerance in the back and 2 inches in the front.

I installed racks to set the eggs on and have 3 racks and the bottom of the cooler to set on. I hatch in egg cartons and they set on the racks with about a half inch at the back and 2 inches at the front clearance. There is glass on the bottom half of the door, because i wanted to set eggs on the bottom to hatch and wanted the kids to be able to see.

HERE IS THE PROBELM:

My thermometers read alike outside the bator at room temp. I tested the bator with a thermometer at the top and bottom and only had about .7 to 1 degree difference from top to bottom. So I set eggs. After setting the eggs, the top reads 101.7 and the bottom reads 90.5.

Is it a circulation issue???? Do I need to add a heat source to the bottom? My temp control is in the middle and if i move it to the bottom the eggs on top will cook and if I move it to the top the eggs on the bottom will freeze.

I need some answers quickly please as I have 9 dozen eggs in there now. I tested and tested and thought I had this fail proof, so much for that, LOL!

Thanks-

Sheila

2. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Remember heat rise's so you may need another heat source.

The air also may be cooling off before it reaches the bottom.

Your fan may not be powerful enough to force the warm air to the bottom.

3. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    Any more help anyone?

4. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Maybe the eggs are blocking the air flow if you could adjust those the heated air would reach the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by