Need incubator help! MyGQF sportsman Almost caught fire this morning!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LMEggs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    I went to check my incubator this morning and it was buzzing and was smelling hot and smoking!! My eggs were barely warm temp said 70 the eggs were supposed to hatch friday and then I had 6 goose eggs in there that were in there for 2 weeks already I didn't have time to check the fan to see if it was running cause of the smoking coming from it I unplugged it right then. What could have happened to my GQF sportsman ? The front of the bator was cold and the back part felt hot ? Thermostat ? Fan ? fan motor ? the heating element ?

It has a GQF Electronic themostat in it and a wafer one just below it wired together ?

Does anyone has any ideas as to what it might be? I never have been good with this sort of thing... I put my eggs in my little giant hoping they are alright.

I gotta get my GQF fixed!!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'd probably call the company and troubleshoot with them. Once you pinpoint the problem, hopefully you'll only have to replace a part.

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I'm not an experienced hatcher , but looks like to me like wiring two thermostats in tandem might create a problem .

4. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Call the manu for sure and a dual thermostat setup is not uncommon at all.

5. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I would definatly call the company. I'm glad you caught it, before you lost more than chicks.. I hope they hatch and I hope they replace it with a new one and deal with the fire hazard issue.

Christal

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    How old is it? Did you buy it new or used? Either way, talk to GQF about it, they should be able to help you out.

Really glad you had a backup, hope your hatch goes well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by