need indoor ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tamatik, Apr 8, 2009.

1. tamatik

tamatik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2007
    massey ont
    howdy all..I,m building a shed on skids..10x16..just cant figger how to configure the inside.I,ll need a small space for feed and med.. and a couple pens for breeders (oeg) and a pen for 3-4 layers(bigger birds)
    just cant decide which way to go.I,ve looked at all the coop designs and some have good points and others have not-so-good for me.
    I dont want to waste any space..It will have a run outside separated for different groups.

Your input would be appreciated

Thanx

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's nice to have nest boxes with access from the outside. I love that feature of my coop.

3. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    consider a loft for your supplies. one with an access door or screening. that and outside nest boxes will free up floor space.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Think about when you need to clean it out. I made my door wide enough for my garden cart to be wheeled inside. That way, when I was cleaning the far end, I didn't have to walk back to the door with every scoop. Allow yourself enough room in the aisle to work, on cleaning day.

5. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm working on ours, which is a 10x16 shed. We're going to get supplies this afternoon to start the interior construction, so I don't have any photos to share with you. We're blocking off about 5'x10' at the entry of the shed for feed storage and a couple of brooders. I'm planning on ladder style perches, and two areas for nest boxes - some higher than others, as there will be some bantams sharing the space with standards. I'm putting a 2'x2' hatch door on the side of the coop at one end of the perches so that I can pull my wagon right up to the edge of the shed and push droppings from the perch area right out of the building into my wagon. We'll be insulating (Texas summers are worse than Texas winters), putting in more windows, and I bought some clearance sheet vinyl at Lowes (about $8 for an 11x12' sheet!) for the floor of the coop. The storage area floor won't be vinyl -- using garage rubber door mats instead.

6. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I will be building a community nest box for my girls rather than multiple smaller boxes. It will be about 5' long by about 2' deep and tall. Chickens like darkness and privacy when laying eggs and I'm told this eliminates crushed eggs (from too many in one nest) and egg eating. I'll create a hinged lid on the top to collect eggs. I'll leave an opening on the front for an entrance/exit. If I find I need more space, I'll add another large nest box.

7. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is exactly what we had in our coop when I was a kid (and my Mom still has). It's PERFECT! Thanks for reminding me... maybe I'll do that as well! Mom's has a split lid, so you only have to open one side at a time, and the entrance to the box is in the center. I'm so glad you posted ... this is perfect timing!! Maybe that will stop my crazy Crevecoeur hen from kicking everyone else out of "her" nest box (she thinks they're ALL hers...get out, get out, GET OUT!! she says!)

8. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Quote:This is exactly what we had in our coop when I was a kid (and my Mom still has). It's PERFECT! Thanks for reminding me... maybe I'll do that as well! Mom's has a split lid, so you only have to open one side at a time, and the entrance to the box is in the center. I'm so glad you posted ... this is perfect timing!! Maybe that will stop my crazy Crevecoeur hen from kicking everyone else out of "her" nest box (she thinks they're ALL hers...get out, get out, GET OUT!! she says!)

Glad I could help! I have to revamp my hen house plans because instead of building a new 8x12 coop we are going to convert our 12x12 gazebo. The community nest box will definitely stay. It just makes so much sense to me. Enjoy your chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by