need inexpensive fencing/run ideas for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reddun25, Feb 14, 2011.

1. reddun25

reddun25 New Egg

Feb 14, 2011
    First let me say...we are novice chicken owners. But I am proud to say all 11 hens we raised are alive and well! We built a coop last spring and attached a good size run to it. We built the run with chicken wire but apparently not with the correct wire. The hens can peck right through it! They have made holes big enough so they can escape. They have also pushed the bottom up in one area as another means to escape. I really don't mind them roaming around but our neighbors might! And we live close to the road and would hate to see them get squished. Should we just get a thicker chicken wire? How do I prevent them from pushing it up? What about a plastic or mesh fence? electric? For the winter they are in a large horse stall in the barn but I want to get the materials for a new fence because they are really wanting to go outside now that the weather is nicer. Thank you in advance!

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I used pine pallets around the perimeter of our run,then put up plastic mesh netting up to the roof( 6-1/2' high).

Works and looks good.

3. reddun25

reddun25 New Egg

Feb 14, 2011
    You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would you? Thanks!

4. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:I would have to wait til this weekend.I work early and go home late.

5. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Hi reddun25 [​IMG]

try hardware cloth. It works a LOT better than "chicken wire". Don't know why they call it cloth, it's 1/2 inch wire meshing. We built a skirt around the bottom that flares about 24 to 36" out. This keeps them from getting under, also keeps unwanteds from getting in.

Read this thread: Hardware cloth vs chicken wire

Good luck!

E/

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  6. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Watch out using that plastic mesh. I have had lots of critters chew right through the mesh, and try to have dinner.

7. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

Watch out using that plastic mesh. I have had lots of critters chew right through the mesh, and try to have dinner.

Plus I don't want my birds eating the plastic either.​

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ask yourself this question. "How much have I spent getting my flock of 11 to this point?"

2x4 welded wire with galvanized hardware cloth along the bottom 24" is spendy, but cheaper than what you have spent on your birds to date, and it will last.

9. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I have plastic mesh but I am near a major artery going from Rock Hill to Chester. If the critters run the gambit across the road and make it,then they have to scale my wooden fence,climb down,fight my ferel cat Attila,chew thru plastic mesh,1-1/2" pine pallet wood to get to my birds.

Narry a criiter has even been able to make it across the road,ending up as road kill stew to locals here. Attila killed a few varmits that made it across,and the muscovy ducks had a standstill with a possum til I shot it.The possum never even came close to the coop.

10. reddun25

reddun25 New Egg

Feb 14, 2011
    Quote:Ok..when you say you built a skirt around the bottom. What does that mean exactly? I really appreciate all the helpful info! I didn't realize they would be such good escape artists!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by