need inexpensive run ideas...can't free range anymore.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lilmama, Nov 24, 2010.

1. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Hello,

I have 4 hens and although the coop and run together are pretty big- I was letting them free-range during the day.
    Well, yesterday, we had a hawk incident. Luckily I was there and scared it off so one of my hens just got a little cut and nothing more.
    Anyway, I would love to see some inexpensive run ideas. Even if your lay out is different than ours, I still would love some inspiration.
    We would make it so that it was a day time run and could be sealed off from the rest of the established coop and run so it wouldn't have to be fort knox. Just safe enough to keep hawks away..

Thanks!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I use welded wire for mine, and cover it with more welded wire to keep raccoons out---but something like chicken wire might suffice for the top if you don't need it to be fort knox and it's cheaper.
    100ft of welded wire is ~$60 and I use Tposts with it every 8ft - it keeps most dogs out too. One roll makes about a 16ftx16ft run including the top and my dig skirt, so if you don't need to fortify it that much you could make a bigger run area. I use PVC pipe to bow up the top so I can walk in there, PVC is pretty cheap, um what I have is grey plastic conduit pipe which is less than $2 for I think 10ft long pieces.

Sometimes you can get used chainlink or other fence and/or Tposts on Craigslist so that would be even cheaper. I've even gotten used welded wire and chainlink from a scrap yard recycle place on the cheap, but of course it's hit or miss what they have.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I don't know what you consider inexpensive but I know something that is really easy. The 6X6 dog run panels work really well and are moveable. I know that they are expensive but if you checked Craigslist you could probably find them used cheaper. You could use bird netting to cover the top. Rolls of that are pretty inexpensive. Just a suggestion.

4. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    I used the "deer netting" doubled up. I zip tied it together. I think the visual deterrent is what is achieved. For that matter, strands of yarn or twine would probably accomplish the same thing. I have hawks routinely stalking my birds but they have never tried anything.

5. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

My a-frame is made of completely recycled materials: old deck wood, some hand-me-down wire from good old dad....
    [​IMG]

6. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Thanks everyone! Great ideas and love the A frame!!!

[​IMG]

7. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Colorado
    In a pinch I have used hay or straw bales with a couple of 2x4's going across each way, and placed wire on top with a few bricks to hold it down or a few more hay bales. Works good and easily taken apart.

8. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    These are pretty simple, but you'd most likely need to add harware cloth to the sides to keep the chickens in. Still a good start, and easy to move. Cattle panels are about 30.00 a piece here. http://www.plamondon.com/hoop-coop.html

9. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
  10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:They're only $20 here, and actually a few dollars off at TSC on Black Friday. I put chicken wire on them to keep the chickens from walking through the holes at home in my backyard, but I upgraded to welded wire when I had to move my birds to raccoon central.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by