need info about selling eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bonder, Nov 26, 2010.

1. bonder

bonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    We are FINALLY starting to get some eggs on a regular basis. I want to start selling them soon. I don't wash my eggs and I want to remind buyers to wash them as well as tell them a little about our chickens, our farm etc. I was thinking of making a little sheet to insert into each carton. Has anyone ever done this before? Maybe buyers aren't interested, but I think most people would like to see how our chickens are raised.
    I'm hoping someone has a template or ideas for what to include. Anybody????
    Thanks!!

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Are you just gonna sell them at home or at a local farmers market?If you want to sell at home you have to make the customers comfortable.Put up a sighn saying Fresh Eggs and See Our Chickens and make sure to put the price.This will lure them in, by the coop have some papers on why to eat fresh eggs and stuff.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I include an info. sheet in the carton whenever I sell to someone new. It explains some of the differences between my free range eggs and store bought eggs, including: cloudy whites, orange yolks, and blood and meat spots.

At the bottom is a note explaining why I don't wash my eggs and how they should be washed just before using.

4. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    I sell eggs to the feed store which has a refrigerator on the main floor. I asked about their rules. For them, they ask for washed eggs and certain info on the label regarding healthy handling plus date of packing, plus my label. Just before taking them in, I rinse one at a time under the faucet, lay on a cookie rack, and then carefully dry them with a paper towel. I also use a plastic mesh scrubbie thingie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by