1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need info. about....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jen4, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I was checking the chicks and seen that they where pecking on the butt of another one and theres alittle blood... I removed the chick and put it in another container with food and water. What do I do..... why are they pecking on this one chick? I've had them for 3 weeks tomorrow and they've done great with each other... do you think its cause they are running out of room in their container?

Thank you

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Sometimes, if they are crowded or bored, they will feather pick. Try giving them more room and some blades of grass or something to peck at......

3. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Ok... Thanks

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I am concerned this might happen to mine as well. I was just on another thread and someone suggested putting a live cricket (from the pet store) in there to amuse them and they get some good protein too. I suppose it's time to think of toys and stuff for entertainment.

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I've used some stuff call No Peck from the feed store. It apparently taste bad and also has stuff to help heal. I found that the chicks that i've used it on try to get it off but it seems to help. That is about the same age that mine started and i think it was overcrowding and boredom. Now that my flock is in the coop and run they still pick at each other some but i think that's a normal part of the "pecking order" thing. Good Luck and Welcome to BYC

6. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I am sooo ready to move them to the coop.... but we dont have it built yet. We have the chicken run built, so I'm sitting here racking my brain about what I could use as a coop for 32 chicks...........

7. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I use big plastic storage totes, about 12 chicks in each.

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    How big a space do you have 32 3 week old chicks in? Are you using a red light?

I had mine in a 162 gal stock tank with red heat lamps. Roosts and rock to climb on. At 3 wks when I introduced snacks and grit, I put clumps of sod for them to pick at when they were awake.

I consider myself lucky that none of mine picked on each other BUT I only had ten chicks. I can't imagine having 32 of them. As they get bigger, you'll need a HUGE brooder.

Good luck.

9. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Jen 4. I'm in about the same situation. I have a coop and run that will house between 12 and 15. Somehow i've ended up with 27 chicks(6 are roos for the freezer) but i will still have too many. I will be building another coop and run this summer.LOL... For a quick fix you might try craigslist. I've been seeing portable buildings for free if you go get them. I don't know what shape their in but it would be worth checking out. Good Luck.

10. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks guys...
    My husband just told me he is picking up the wood for the coop today when he gets off work... but its still going to take us days... weeks or a weekend to build it. Hoping the weather is going to be great this weekend. Hoping the chicks can hold off a couple more days or I'll think of something for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by