Need info and pix of a walk-in Coop w/ clerestory--any tips?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bantyshanty, Jul 17, 2010.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    New coop needed. Chicken population explosion here! Last winter I had a flock of 5 silkies.
    I have a flock of about 25 mixed bantams now, half silkies, half Ameraucanas, Polish & d'Anvers.
    All the 4 the little coops my hubby & I built as experiments are not going to get our fine new birds through the winter.
    They're pretty & all solid wood. Just no insulation. ALso, I want to sit with my chooks in a nice warm coop when it snows.
    Since neither of us is a very good carpenter, we need to have the walk-in coop built. Fortunately, we have a friend who is a great carpenter.

I've been looking at a design online at farmnyard that's a walk-in with clerestory, but it's a bit expensive for us with the kit they offer ($1K shipping included)

It's nice, perhaps, but my DH and his friend the carpenter like to work with reclaimed wood & materials.

Thus, the best way to go is with a detailed set of plans & photos of a structure like this.
    The coop we want would be 6' x 12' x 5' walls and then the clerestory adding height.
    Has anyone seen plans for or photos of a coop like this online or in a book?
    If so, where?

We need to get it built before winter.

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

3. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Yup, perfect. I found this last week. Love Sean & Joana's site, thanks! I've printed out his plans. If I don't find a clerestory chicken coop plan, I'll use his plan & downsize it. It's a beautiful structure. I wish I had skills to do what he did myself.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
  5. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    To The Chicken lady: Boy are you right! Thanks a henhouse full! I think we'll be using Steve's ideas too![​IMG]

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Dang, that's gorgeous. I downloaded the jpeg version of your plans to my wish folder for when I get more chickens and need a permanent coop. Truly a thing of beauty and functionality.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by