1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need info. baby chicks and my flock.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 5.0 Clunker, Feb 7, 2008.

1. 5.0 Clunker

5.0 Clunker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2008
    Ok I am planning on ordering 25 brown egg layers from McMrray Hatchery,

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/brown_egg_layers.html

I have a place to keep them away from my flock which is made of four hens and one rooster, for at least 30 days. What I was wondering was after the 30 days Would I have any trouble if I put them with the rest of my birds?

Sorry for the Newb post.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I try not to introduce young birds until they're pretty much the same size as the adults. They're still going to be a lot smaller at 30 days of age. I'd allow them to get older before I'd try. There will be "pecking order" issues no matter how long you wait, but if they're the same size there's less chance of injury.

3. 5.0 Clunker

Feb 4, 2008
    Thats kinda what I was thinking. I was also wondering if laying hens "share" nesting boxes or will I have to make 25 more boxes?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

No...you don't have to make 25 more boxes!! [​IMG] They'll share! I forget what the ratio is, but hopefully someone will answer who knows. No matter how many hens I have it seems like they pick 2 or 3 nests and they all share those.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The ratio is usually 1 nestbox to every 4-5 hens, but no matter how many you have, they'll have their favorites, believe me! They're goofy about what nest they want to plop that egg into.

6. 5.0 Clunker

Feb 4, 2008
    Well thats good to know I was planning on making six boxes after work tomorrow [​IMG] I have six already, I need to find have many I am going to need.

7. 5.0 Clunker

Feb 4, 2008
    Quote:Thank you soooo much! I should be good like I said in post above i have six made already.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Please do not put those chicks in the main run with your flock until they are at least 16 weeks old and have a chance to defend themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by