need info on chicken food,care, boxes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tara2, Jan 15, 2015.

1. tara2

tara2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    C&T Tiny Farm
    what kinda of snacks and meat and food all around do you feed your chickens? what are some great ways to care for them in the winter and summer time? how are curtains suppose to work on nest box's?? thanxs for all the great info im sure ya all will provide me..

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]
    I feed mine Nutrena Laywise.

3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I feed pen pals egg layer. Snacks and treats just once a day enough that they will gobble it all up in a matter of minutes. Scratch out in the run area(DE out there too) they eat the scratch and DE at the same time. Depending on weather where you live as to how to care for them in smer and winter. Here in Florida they have adequate shade and sometimes fans on them when it is real hot. Winter not a whole lot. Cover open wire with tarps to keep the wind off them and plenty of hay in the coop to keep warm. Hope this helps.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As for treats, stop by our Treats Chart as to what you can feed and what not to feed your birds. Make sure it only compromises 10% of their diet, or once a day and what they can clean up in about 10 mins...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

You can hang or tack curtains over your nest boxes so that the birds just slip through the center. I use them on my boxes to prevent egg eating. The boxes are dark, the birds can't see the eggs and are less likely to mess with them.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of great info on all the aspects of keeping your birds happy, healthy and safe...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

5. tara2

tara2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    C&T Tiny Farm
    yes I have thank you... i just wanted to get other chicken people's point of views.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

TwoCrows has given you some good advice!

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

I feed most of my chickens a quality layer feed, which is sometimes supplemented with mealworms or other small treats. I also feed my roosters and a few hens a higher protein gamebird grower feed to help them grow plenty of nice, shiny feathers and maintain condition.

Caring for chickens throughout the year is pretty simple. In the summer, you just have to make sure that they have some shade to lay in and always have fresh water available. In the winter, the most important ways to keep your flock healthy are to provide plenty of bedding and feed, minimize drafts, and ensure adequate ventilation. The worst threats to chicken health are cold wind, predators, and unsanitary conditions.

I've never heard of using curtains in nest boxes, or if I do, I unfortunately do not remember. However, Two Crows gave you some good advice on the topic. I would be sure to check out the Learning Center, too--it has lots of great information on various aspects of chicken raising.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!