Need info on clipping wings asap please!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken_Addict, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Chicken_Addict

Chicken_Addict Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    ok they need clipped lil boogers afe i guess u would say flyin the coop? they keep escaping i have lost 1 already i know i clip one wing whic one? and how far to cut do i cut at a rounded angle? thanks

2. Chicken_Addict

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    i think i found what i need but does it matter which wing? and in my coop i have a step type thing with no back that looks like this

of course it has sides and steps are kinda wide think they can climb it with wings clipped?

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't think it matters which wing.....you can do both if you want but not usually necessary. I don't know but my chickens can hop pretty good...they may be able to get out using that thing just like a ladder!!

4. Chicken_Addict

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    roflmao i just got off the phone with my mom and she said chickens cant climb a ladder lol but i was thinking they might hop up it to get to the shelf we have set up for them o nest in hmmm guess ill just play it by ear its started to rain so maybe the ain will keep them in the coop i hope! i have figures it out its my 5 lil ones everytime the older ones are picking on them any advice on this? they arent fighting just kinda chasing them around hmmmmm.......

5. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Well....I remember when I was a kid the roost in our chicken house was made out of tree limbs just like a ladder. The chickens didn't have any trouble using it!!![​IMG]

6. Stef

Stef New Egg

Apr 25, 2007
    France
    Chicken_Addict Hi

Just Clip one. The idea is to just trim the large flight feathers on the upper and lower wing. (Don't go too close to the flesh. Basically you are just making their flight ability un-balanced. If you do both wings it kinda defeats the object as they may still get enough lift to get over the fence.

By doing one wing they tip to one side when they try to flap, so can't get any hight.

It should be completely painless for the bird.

All the best

Stef [​IMG]

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by