Need info on egg carton incubation

NurseNettie

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Northern Maine
I've got my 'bator all set up and ready for the eggs that are being shipped to me.
How well does the egg carton method work?
I've read bits and pieces, and from what I'm putting together, you put the eggs in small end down, and prop one side of the carton up at a time instead of turning right?
How high do you prop it ( how high a board, etc do you put one side on?)
Do you place it under the short end ( 2 egg side) or long side ( 6 egg side of carton)?
Anything else?

I have mine in cartons right now and I am just propping the whole incubator up. I have a piece of board (2x4) underneath and I tip it to one side and then the other. It has worked well so far, but time will tell.....
smile.png

Good luck with yours....what kind of eggs are you getting?

Thanks, I"ll see if that works for me-- with the water reservoirs, I'm wondering if I'll end up with water all over the place, though..
I've got hubby on his way to the post office to pick up Black Australorp eggs as I type this.

I am not using the trays on the bottom for water. Mind you, my humidity in my home is fairly high (40-50%) so I don't need much surface area from the water to get good humidity.

I have it in a high sided little plastic container, which is in with the eggs. I fill it about half full so when I tip the whole unit, it doesn't spill out.

On day 18 when I stop turning and boost up the humidity, I will lay the whole unit flat and use the tray to get the percentage higher....

smile.png

When I did this, I propped up the egg cartons themselves. I need the water in my reservoirs, though, so I couldn't tip the whole incubator (I surely would've spilled!) I propped up the long (12-egg side) of one on a little piece of wood, and then propped up the others (I had 4 cartons total) on each other. I kind of staggered them to make sure that the cartons were not actually resting on eggs. I tried to get an ~45 degree angle, to mimic an auto turner as best I could.

I didn't set in the cartons this time around, but I am hatching in them. I just had one hatch about an hour ago, with plenty more on the way!
jumpy.gif

I am on day 17 and have placed 36 eggs in two 18 cartons and I put small flat piece of wood under the cartons inside and just switch the wood from one side to the other 4 times a day. Its saves time and in 4 days or so I will see how well it works.

Back
Top Bottom