need info on expanding my flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by doxielover, May 26, 2010.

1. doxielover

doxielover In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to raising chickens. Fortunately my neighbor is a breeder. He breeds to the breed standard, shows his birds, and also raises more rare breeds. Currently I have 5 barred rocks, 4 of which are roosters, this group is 7 months old. Roos are all kept separate. I also have five 8 weeks old javas, three of which are roosters. I plan on giving two of those roos back to the breeder. I would like to get more pullets the same age as my javas but I would like to know if I can do this and mix the new ones with the current 8 week old javas. The javas are soon going to have their own coop and run so I thought this would be a good time to find more pullets the same age and mix them. Can I do this, even if it is a different breed the same age? I haven't seen too much info on this part of managing your flock either online or in any books I have. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I would appreciate it.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If they are the same age, there will be squabbles for three or four days and then they will settle in together.

One thing... I don't know what the temperament of javas are... You may want to ask the breeder what he thinks since he is raising them.

For instance there are certain types of games that I wouldn't mix with other breeds of chickens.

Hope that helps.

3. doxielover

Apr 22, 2010
    Thank you Mahroni,

It does help, a lot. As a matter of fact, the breeder is stopping by on Saturday to check out the javas for me, so I will ask him then. Two of the three roos are engaging in "mock" fighting the past 2 days since I have been putting them out in a tractor for the day so they can graze a little. Our weather turned very warm, and I took the opportunity to get them used to being outside. I hadn't thought of the temperment factor. I will recheck my big book of chicken breeds. I would love some rhode island reds, but I have heard from those that have them, that they can be a bit aggressive. Thanks for the quick response. I want good egg layers but I want to do what is best for my birds.

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Songster

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I find if I have to mix new chicks or chickens in with others that it is easier when they are put into a new coop and run. At 8 weeks they are young enough to be alittle timid when they are put into a new coop when the new chicks are introduced the old ones are still trying to get used to their new surroundings and are too busy to go after the newer birds. I have done this with many ages and it always seems to work. By the time they are used to their new coop everyone is part of the flock.JMHO

5. doxielover

Apr 22, 2010
    By the way Mahroni, kudos to Arizona. We will be having candlelight vigils in support of them, here in Mass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by