need info on hatched chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by grannychicken54, Mar 15, 2013.

1. grannychicken54

grannychicken54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    One of my eggs just hatched and the umbilical cord is still attached is this normal I did not help or even open the incubator it is moving around and chirping. any help would be great Thanks

2. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    It happens sometimes, it will dry up and eventually fall off. You can always trim it when you move the chicks to the brooder. Not a problem unless the chick is actively bleeding from the umbilicus.

1 person likes this.
  3. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Thanks it is not bleeding or anything it just has not fallen off I was worried that maby it was something wrong thanks again

4. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Could someone tell me if it is alright for the chicks that have hatched to be running around and rolling the other eggs around some have pipped and the babies are rolling them around will this kill the chicks trying to hatch?

5. Overoberyl

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Yes it happens, I hatch mine sitting upright in cutout egg cartons so it's less of a problem for me than if the eggs were on their sides, but I still remove hatched chicks after they fluff out because I don't like them messing with the unhatched eggs. It's unlikely they will hurt the unhatched ones, but I just like for them not to be disturbed, for my own peace of mind [​IMG]

6. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Thanks how long does it take before I can take the hatched ones out

7. Overoberyl

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Lots of people prefer to leave them in until everything is hatched, but like I said I don't like to leave the hatched ones in there, so I just wait until they are dry, and remove them very quickly to avoid letting too much humidity out of the bator. If/when I open it I usually will just put extra water in right away to compensate for any humidity loss and prevent the unhatched chicks from getting shrink wrapped. As long as you're quick and don't open the lid too wide it should not cause a problem. Definitely leave them in there at least until they are dried and fluffed out, to avoid them getting chilled on the way to the brooder.

8. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    How long do you wait to make sure all of the eggs have hatched that are going to, today is day22 and most that have hatched last night and today could someone give some advice on how much longer to wait for the other eggs to hatch I cannot see some very good they are under the fan I think thats what it is humidity is still 73% I do not want to mess up by doing something to soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by