Need info on hatching duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by whitedove, Apr 5, 2011.

1. whitedove

whitedove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Will soon be receiving some cayuga and pekin eggs to try my hand at hatching. [​IMG] This is our first attempt with ducks and I've come across varying info. What I've come across my husband thinks is too high and insisted I post and see what you all think. The search engine on here isn't so helpful.....so I apologize for repeating. [​IMG]

So, here's what I've found -

Days 1-25
    99.5 degrees with 86% humidity

Days 26 - hatch
    98.5 degrees with 94% humidity

Is this at all accurate? The humidity seems extremely high, but I've come across several people that swear by it. Any help/opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That may be a bit on the high side but not by much. Ducks need really high humidity to hatch.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah, humidity issues have been my biggest problem. It doesn't help that I am in a semi-arid area, but watch carefully during the hatch to make sure the membrane doesn't shrink wrap them.

4. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    keep in mind that those are wet bulb readings....they translate roughly into 55% before and then 65%+ at lockdown. ROUGHLY on a digital reader...

5. whitedove

whitedove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Quote:Did not know this. Thank you.

6. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    I do know that Metzer farms recommends wet bulb readings as more accurate but I am using a digital until I can find an old style thermometer as I can't get them around here because the mercury is now illegal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by