Need Info On Histostat- 50

The Little Country Farm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Liberty, MS
Hi, I'm new to this website and I need some info. I've recently got some turkeys and so far they look pretty healthy. I know they were raised around chickens, so now I'm a little worried after reading all the stuff about blackhead. Is there a place I can get Histostat- 50 to prevent them from getting it, ( I have chickens too, their not around the turkeys though.) I called my local co-op but they didn't have it. They maybe can order it, I'm not sure. Or has it been recalled due to the arsenic? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

welcome-byc.gif

Histostat has, indeed, been pulled. I expect nearly all arsenicals for poultry are on the way out in the U.S. Nitarsone is still available (call all around). I think Blue Seal once included this chemical in a line of feed.

Please read through this recent thread (and links to more info). https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=591070

Most
folks who run chooks and turks together (even without prophylactic worming, etc.) will never encounter this disease (in much of U.S. - Europe is another story).

Thank you so much for the info!! I have raised chickens and quail for a few years now but am a beginner at raising turkeys. So far my flock seems very healthy tough. Thanks again:)!

no need for anything drastic, just dose everyone about once a month with cyanne pepper. I put about 3 to 4 tablespoons in about 3 lbs of oatmeal and mix it up with warm water and garlic. If you look around you will find a thread that says cayenne pepper will treat blackhead with great results, it is also used for worms and such. Works great for my flocks with no negative results.

Thanks so much! I gave my turks some cayenne pepper this morning. It didn't seem to bother them either. I'm guessing I could give it to my chickens too? I guess just as a preventative to get whatever they have out of their systems.

Back
Top Bottom