Need info on ORGANIC feed

JOdogface

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 1, 2008
Greetings, you fine feathered friends:

I am fairly new to raising chickens, having gotten my first chicks a little less than a year ago. I live in the panhandle of Florida.

I have 14 Production Red hens that I am free-ranging in my back yard. I seem to be finding a market for my eggs (in fact, have just ordered 25 more chicks), and I would be able to sell more (and more $$) if I could advertise them as "organic" not just free-range.

I have contacted the two feed stores in my town and neither carries an organic chicken feed. Does anyone know of a source for organic feed that won't bankrupt my fledgling operation? I would be happy to blend my own, if there are affordable sources of organic grains and "recipes" that provide all necessary nutrients for chick starter and layer ration.

Any advice or guidance is appreciated!

Being able to call the eggs organic starts when the hens are hatched -- they have to be raised according to the "accepted standards" if you want to use the term. You can get around that by stating that they're fed certified organic feed without actually calling the birds/eggs organic. Even when I was feeding organic layer mash, I was still giving my girls table scraps that weren't organic, so even the chicks I raised didn't qualify for the term.
tongue.png

I don't know how difficult it would be to find organic grains to make your own feed, I ordered from Countryside Naturals. The feed itself is reasonably priced, it's the shipping that might kill you...

Back
Top Bottom