Need info on raising baby ducks i have no clue!!! help!!!

Chicken_Addict

Songster
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
Kellyville Oklahoma
ok i have chickens and just bought 2 baby ducks
smile.png
cute as a bug let me tell ya i need help i know nothing abt ducks ive read a little abt them on here but there isnt much info here if you know anything at all please let me know

what to feed them when they grow

when they can swim

can they be in with chickens?

how do i sex them?

and what for treats

ant and all info will be greATLY APPRECIATED THANKS GUYS

You can go to
www.duckrescue.org for some tips
as well as
www.newagrarian.com

I would recommend Dave Holderread's book "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks"

They need non medicated gamebird starter for the first 2 weeeks or so. Then a maintanence feed like Triple Duty for until about 5 months or when the females start laying. THen switch to layer pellets with oytster shell offered free choice separately. Lots of fresh water at all times.

Until they are fully feathered, only supervised short swims in the tub orsink. Maybe 5 minutes or so of play, they dried off with a towel and back under the heat lamp.

Mine live with the chickens once they are grown.

You can voice sex after a month to 6 weeks. Females have a loud quack and males have a raspy 2 syllable voice.

Fresh greens, watermelon, tomatoes, peas, etc. Mine love Cheerios. All treats in moderation.

My baby ducks are 2 months old and they are the boss of my chickens.
They eat the chicken feed.
The problem is they mud up all the water bowls.
They love a little blow up swimming pool with steps in and out.
When the pool gets dirty I tip it into a mud hole then they go nuts digging for worms and splashing their feet, looks so cute.
Then when I fill their pool with clean water, they go nuts again to wash.
Mine are free range but are locked up at night in their own pen. however they will happily sleep in their pond, "shiver"or sit under a tree with the bunnies.
Ive heard that turkey starter is a good first food but I havent tried it as I used chicken starter.
Helen

thabks guys
smile.png
i got chick starter to feed them they seem happy so far im not sure what breed or how old they are it just said assorted ducks hmmmmm if i ost pics could yall take a guess for me?

if you are going to feed chick starter, make sure that it is unmedicated. Medicated chick starter has much more concentrated amounts of medication than ducklings can handle. Ducklings eat more in comparison to their body weight that chicks. It can be very dangerous for them

Last edited:
yea i foster baby birds of all kinds but i just got baby ducks there really social they want there feet wet never leave them alone if u put they in the tub the will drown
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom