Need info on RIR roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kwhorne, Oct 19, 2009.

1. kwhorne

kwhorne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2009
    My RIR rooster is 7 months old and seems to be healthy. In the last two or three days I've noticed a change in the coloration of his legs. He is starting to get a reddish/orange tint on the lower part of his legs from about where the spurs start down to the area between the toes. His legs are their normal yellow w/brown streaks all the way to his toes but this other tint is new to me. I don't have a good picture of an adult RIR rooster to compare and need to know if this part of the normal coloration. I've not seen any scale problems or anything to indicate leg mites. The temps have been cool for the past few days if this has anything to do with it. It was 34 degrees F. last night. Is all well with my boy Ernest?

Thanks

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    My EE roo gets really red legs during certain times of the year. I've heard it has to do with breeding seasons, but not sure exactly. I've heard lots of people say it's normal though.

3. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    All three of my main roos have reddish legs right now. I have a BO, RIR and a Lavender bantam

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Same thing happened to mine. I asked on here and was told it was normal, has to do with maturity or something.

He also started growing noticeable spurs at about the same time I first noticed the color changes.

5. kwhorne

kwhorne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2009
    Thanks folks. I appreciate your input. I've gotten somewhat attached to Ernest and don't want anything to happen to him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by