need info on Silver Laced Cochins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jennings Gamefowl, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    Im getting some soon and i want to know are they good layers, i know they are good setters and mothers....plus pics would be nice if you have some.... maybe some when they were little and grown...... thanks

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I think they have a lot to do with who you get them from. I have some standard Cochins that are fabulous layers and some that are not so great. It hasn't shown to be color related in my case.

I have many more colors than what I show on my web site but they all seem to lay well enough. I have a black hen that lays only 3 eggs a week but most of the girls lay at least 5 eggs a week. I even had one go through her molt and continue to lay a few eggs a week. Surprised me but I feed a high protein food during molt so that may be why. And her genetics perhaps.

I do not have a Cochin that is SL but I think they would be beautiful. Make sure to take photos![​IMG]

3. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Im getting some soon and i want to know are they good layers, i know they are good setters and mothers....plus pics would be nice if you have some.... maybe some when they were little and grown...... thanks

This is a rare color when it comes to "show quality" infact I've personally never seen this variety at shows. I would LOVE to see someone put the work into this beautiful color. I'm not sure if that's your goal or not, just thought I'd mention it:) I'm attaching a PDF file of silver laced cochins you can read through, it's VERY informative with lots of pictures for you to look at. I hope this helps....

Good luck,
    Shari

http://www.chickencolours.com/SL CochinB Eng.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by