1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need info on Sportsman Incubators..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momof247371, May 6, 2009.

1. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    My dh is gonna buy me a sportsman:) i need more info on how to get one and wich one i should get? any tips or suggestions would be great! thanks!

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
  3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It pays to shop around there can be a big difference in price. Usually GQF has the best price but not always.

We have 2 sportsman's . Both have the electronic thermostat and hold the temp steady as can be.

The new model with the push button control does have a few issues. The little square push button cover can turn a little bit and stick. The fix is to just pop them off and use the button under it. It doesn't come with trays for the turner racks - It's made to just slide the plastic egg trays in. I like to be able to pull the whole tray out if I want to get to the back egg tray. The hatching tray at the bottom is to tall, you have to level the turning trays to pull it out. We ended up buying 3 trays for the turner racks and a regular hatching tray.

Also, it worth it to get the auto water bucket. That way you don't have to open the door.

Last but not least is think about getting some spare parts - we keep an extra heater coil, fan motor, turner motor and thermostat. In the 4 or 5 years we have had ours we have never needed them but they are there just in case.

Steve in NC

4. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    please keep the info coming...

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I just ran across this thread again..

steve, I also have 3 sportsmans.

the only difference between yours and mine is that mine is already put together.. LOL

I did find out that the new metal trays are too large for the older model bator.. just found that out yesterday when I was moving trays around for hatching.. bummer..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by