need info...pronto please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have a hen that has been laying in a nest alllllllll day. Hasn't left it at all. I have collected all of the eggs(only one was hers, but not sure which one)that were under her. Usually when I take the eggs out from under a hen she gets up and goes about her business. This one hasn't budged. My question is, could she be going broody? Should I put some fertile eggs under her? It would be great if she was going broody,she could incubate and hatch some EE eggs for me [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Give her a couple of days before you invest in any eggs. If she didn't flare up and growl or try to peck your hand when you reached in her box then she's probably not going broody.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Best way to make sure you have a Broody hen is to see if she sits there tonight all night and is there on the nest in the morning, give her a fake egg or two....I always give mine acouple day of making sure they are broody before I go sticking good eggs under them...

4. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Sounds good to me....I got my dd to check and see if the hen is still in that nest tonight,she is. She has NEVER done that before. Although, I've only had her since last fall. I was told that 2 of the hens were broody hens and very good mothers....but the people that I bought her and all my other hens and roo from didn't tell me which hens were broody hens. She does peck when I put my hand close to the nest, but most of my hens do and have always done since I've had them. If she is broody and does hatch some eggs, what should I do with the babies? Let her raise them?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  5. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Letting her raise them is the easiest way. She needs a secure area away from the other chickens and they all need food and water - she is their heat lamp! They will grow like weeds! [​IMG]

6. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have just been out to let my chickens out of their house and looked to see if the hen is still in that nest. She is. She's been there all night. She does peck when my hand gets close to her. I hope she comes out to eat. Anyway, if she has gone broody, I will have to figure out where to put her so that she can do it in peace without the other hens interferring. At the moment I haven't a clue where to put her.[​IMG]

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I made a corral of sorts out of wire with chicken wire over the top and put my hen in a corner of the coop in a nesting bucket with water and food inside. That way no chickens can bother her and the chicks are safe when they hatch, too. After the chicks are a couple weeks old, getting their feathers I prop the bottom of the cage/corral (sp?) up so they can come and go. Mother hen takes them inside it at night. Hope this makes sense?

8. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:It sort of does...I am trying to picture it. It's still early morning here...I'll give it a bit..my brain isn't totally awake yet ...haha.Then I'll re-read what you typed haha. Thanks for your advice...I will have to rig something like that up.

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I will go find a pic of it for you.
    here is one, hope you can see it. chickens are looking at it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  10. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Before you put fertile eggs under her, I read that you might want to start by putting some golf balls under her and see if she continues to sit. If she does then you will want to isolate her and switch your golf balls for fertile eggs.

Also I read that it is important to do everything at night after roosting time, it is less disturbing to your broody.

If you do a search there was a really good link regarding working with a broody hen. (I just checked my bookmarks and it appears that I didn't save it, sorry about that)

Well maybe some of those with experience with broody hens will be come on and offer some more tips. Maybe even the link again. hint hint [​IMG]

Theresa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by