Need Info

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pickstarr, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Pickstarr

Pickstarr New Egg

Feb 28, 2016
    Hello. I live in Commerce Township (48390) and I about to get 2 baby chicks in a few weeks. Am I allowed to keep them outside and use them for breeding and eggs once they are old enough? Are there any restrictions in Commerce? I live in a small subdivision if that makes a difference. Please give me all the info you can. Thanks!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I did a online search for your township. in the ordinances I looked up poultry keeping in search.(I highly suggest you do this too so you can read it for yourself). it states only domestic animals are allowed then it gives another ordinance to refer what "they" consider a domestic animal. Sadly chickens are not considered as there definition of domestic animal. so from what I found no. They do not allow them. some people ask there opposing neighbors if they mind if they keep chickens and if they don't mind, they keep them anyway on the low down. I would never recommend this because it is against the ordinance of the city but I've heard it has been done before. usually if the neighbors are happy and ok with it they don't turn in the poultry keeper. However i do not recommend going against your city ordinance. Hope this helps and do a search and give it a read for yourself. best of luck

1 person likes this.
  3. Pickstarr

Pickstarr New Egg

Feb 28, 2016
    Dang, that's pretty saddening... would I still be allowed to keep them as a house pet though? Just let them chill under an incubator and stuff.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Here's what I could find on local laws:

Source

As far as I can tell, chickens aren't explicitly outlawed. Your main issue is going to be that they don't qualify under the traditional idea of a "tame household pet." Your best bet is to tame them down, make them into pets and call them pets if anyone asks, keep them as quiet as you can, keep the coop very clean and tidy, rehome any cockerels, and bribe any grumpy neighbors with eggs. You won't be able to breed and based on this won't be able to have more than 3 hens.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by