Need Information About French Black Copper Maran

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by farmgirlz, Aug 12, 2011.

1. farmgirlz

farmgirlz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Anyone know anything about the French variety of the Black Cooper Marans or where I can get some? I'm in Maine.

I came across their dark dark brown eggs online when searching about some unrelated topic and snap....an infatuation is born. [​IMG]

Cold weather resistant?
    Docile?
    Get along with other birds?

Would love to add them to my flock.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Update: I just realized that there is already a thread started on Marans, but by the middle of page 2 I quit reading as it was mostly about previous bickering and offered little to no information for a newbie like me.
    I'm not interested in showing them. I just raise chickens in my backyard and want to add a nice quite, pretty bird to my flock that lays unique eggs.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THere is a thread that you may find intersting, and you will find some breeders there as well.Its called the black copper discussion thread at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=444381

You will also find eggs for sale and chicks in the sales/auction section.

I just got a few recently and they are interesting. THey are not the friendliest, they can be pushy with other breeds, and get pushed around by other breeds. Mine are still young and I've only had them a few months. THey have the softest feathers I've every felt. Looking forward to the eggs and doing a little breeding. I'm still new at all this too. Lots to learn yet.

THe dark eggs are also made by other maran varieties also. THey have separate threads for discussion. Welcome to the world of marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by