Need information about pigeons: lofts, diet, breeding, and other care.

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I am about to get pigeons. I don't really have time to search through the forum because well, we don't have home internet and we are at Taco Bell posting this ;P. Anyway, someone is giving my FREE Ornamental Rollers so just fill me in please!!! The loft I'm building is over 4' wide and 2' deep. Height was going to be 32" if that's high enough.

I have another thread because I have the loft now, and forgot about this post.... sorry guys
hmm.png
I still do this one too though.

Last edited:
high enough as they can't fly.

Diet--can buy pigeon grains, or on cheap, feed them layer crumbles, wheat, small corn.

Give them a couple nest boxes on floor, they'll take care of breeding, no help required.....

Fresh water, grit, exercise daily would be good. keep them out of drafts.

Pigeons are very easy as long as you use some common sense.

I agree with the above post. Along with the nest boxes/bowls, you will need to provide some nesting material for them to build with. Pine needles or straw is best. Place it in the cage, and they will carry it to the box and construct their nest themselves. I've put material in the bowl for them before, and they looked a bit disappointed that they didn't get to be crafty, LOL
tongue.png
These birds do not fly much, and usually just stay on the ground or close to it. So if you let them out for exercise, be on the watch for predators, as they'll be a nice fast food meal.

The loft is ALMOST finished. The door is on but I just have to finish putting a top board in, the roosts and feeders. Besides that it is pigeon ready!!! I will probably get them after Christmas break *can't wait*

First Are These Rolllers Young Or Old Birds That Have Been Flown .the Cage Size Would Be Good Enough For Two Pairs Haveenest For Each Pair Different Ends Of The Cage Shaveings A Little Straw Or Hay Even Pine Needles Would Make Great Nesting I Have Used Medium Size Or Large Plastic Dog Bowls From The Dollar Store Cheap And Easy To Clean As For Feeders And Waters Have Used Plastic Milk Jugs One Gallon Size Cut Hole About Three Inches From Bottom Big Enough For Birds To Get Head In But They Do Not Get In I Use Laying Pellets There Droppings Are Loose And Have To Clean Loft More Often But Is A Compelete Ration Were With Grains And Seeds They Will Pick Out What They Like And Leave The Rest Are They Oreintal Rollers Carrier There Wings Below There Tail

Back
Top Bottom