Need input on hatcheries

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by HSerChickLady, Feb 12, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    We've never ordered chicks before but will be this year. So we're clueless about the reputations of the different hatcheries. We're planning to order from either Randall Burkey Company or Murray McMurray. I like that Randall Burkey will allow me to order smaller numbers of chicks, since 10-15 is what we're looking for. But the few people i've been able to find that have ordered their chicks went with McMurray's, but their minimum is 25 chicks and i really don't think i can house that many more, or find homes for that many eggs. Is one hatchery better than the other? I want the best quality, most likely to live chicks i can get. They will be getting shipped to upstate NY if that makes a difference.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can look through the hatchery reviews in the sticky here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/285981/breeder-and-hatchery-index

I think you will find complaints and compliments on all hatcheries. If you ship 80,000 to 100,000 chicks per week during the season, you will sometimes get complaints and mix-ups. A lot of the time, the problems are more with the shipper, not the hatchery. Once it leaves their door, the hatcheries don't have any control over them. And some of these complaints look more like they were caused by the people that received them more than caused by the hatchery or post office.

There are different people working at different hatcheries so there will be differences. But I think you will not really find much difference in the major hatcheries as far as the chicks arriving healthy and alive. I usually hatch my own chicks instead of ordering them. I've only ordered from Cackle and Meyer and all those chicks arrived alive and stayed alive.

A few things you can do to help your chances. Try to order from a hatchery that is reasonably close to you so the chicks don't spend a lot of time in transit. Try to get them shipped on a day that they do not spend a weekend in shipping. I know post office sorting facilities work on weekends, but try to avoid weekends anyway. Avoid post office holidays.

Talk to the Post office people before the chicks are shipped to see how they handle delivery. Usually, there are instructions for them to call you and they expect you to come get them. Find out what time of day you might recieve that call and go get them when you recieve it. And have yoru brooder ready and warmed up.

Good luck!!!

3. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Thank you, i'll look at the link you shared.

I liked the McMurray's said they'd hatch on the weekend, and arrive at my post office on monday. And i can choose the date i'd like. Burkey's doesn't allow me to choose the date i get them. :( Perhaps there's someplace else closer i'm not aware of that will let me get 15 chicks instead of 25. I will talk to my post office as well and see how they handle things.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Cackle will go as low as 15 without really high shipping charges. Ideal has a dollar limit, not a number limit, but both may add packing peanuts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by