Need inspiration to finish my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EHE, Oct 19, 2011.

1. EHE

EHE New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Hi,

This is a coop I've built for some quail but it's a first attempt before I build one (with nest boxes) for some chickens I plan to get. I've got the stage where all I need to do is put the roof on and add the walls and floor to the coop area.

[​IMG]

The plan is to nail plywood to the inside of the coop area frame (back of photo) to create a sealed box, with the joints finished with silicone sealant to reduce the risk of red mite. The outer will then be clad in shiplap.

So, do I need/is it worth insulating the gap between the two? I live in the UK and while it's not that cold the winter is usually consistently below freezing for a while, especially at night.

Would any insulation and any gap between the ply and cladding be a potential haven for red mite?

The roof will have plywood board also then clad in shiplap. Should I nail the board to the inside of the roof trusses or on the outside which is easier? Does putting it inside make it easier to clean, reduce the risk of mites etc? (I'm leaving a one inch gap at the top of the roof for ventilation and then adding an elevated ridge beam late to screen the gap from rain and wind).

Finally, the front of the coop will be ply with a door hole and I'm yet to decide how to add cladding but again will any space between the ply and the cladding be a potential haven for mites?

Loads of questions I know but this is my first time with birds of any sort so any advice would be great.

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, For ease of installation I'd apply your siding on the outside. My question is how do you plan on finishing the corners. I would think you would need a vertical trim that the ship lap butts against. I've sent a photo om my new coop and have horizontal siding in a ship lap fashion. See how the siding butts up to the vertical corner trim. Good luck, looking great so far.
    Erik
    [​IMG]

3. EHE

EHE New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks Erik,

Not sure what I'm going to do with the corners yet, it was one of those parts where I thought I'd see what it looks like once the cladding is on...there have been a few parts of this project like that!

Thanks for the advice.

Ed.

4. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Hey EHE,

I'm 'ooop North' and it's furrrr----reeezing!

What I've done is used (cheap - £2.50 in total) horticultural clear plastic to make a wind-proof
    home for my girls - they love it and there's as much ventilation as any chick can ask for.

Go get it done, man! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. EHE

EHE New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Ha, thanks Kevin I should have thought of that before I convinced the wife it would be miles cheaper for me to build a coop. Well, it's turned out much cheaper than buying a decent quality coop and a bit cheaper than buying a Chinese import.

I'm in Dorset so warmer but last winter had more snow than anyone could remember....so about 2 inches consistently!

6. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    2 inches!

We had over two feet of snow!

(Swap houses with you? brrr!)

7. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Snow! Whats that?

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:It looks like this.

[​IMG]

9. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Wow Fred, I truely can't even imagine dealing with that. Though it is very beautiful.
    Erik

10. pdbantam

pdbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    South Mississippi
    Quote:Gotta love the South! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by