Need Interior Design Ideas for My Coop!

iwiw60

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Central Oregon
Earlier today I posted my "dream coop" and now I would like to see if anyone can help me with how to place things inside the coop. Here's a pic of the storage shed that I'm buying online:

Measures: 73"H x 48"W x 94"D (6'1"H x 4'W x 7' 10"D). I'm planning on 2-3 hens, no rooster. Can anyone help me with the best way to place the feeding/waterer, roost, 2 nesting boxes, and roost w/poop tray, while still allowing me to walk in and maneuver around (bad legs, can't do too much stooping, bending, kneeling)? I'm at a total loss...any replies most appreciated!

Last edited:
Let see, 2 or 3 hens. I would put the roost at the opposite end that the door is, so on the 4' side wall. I would put in 2 rails so they can hop up. Place the nest boxes on the left of the door as you walk in. (in that corner) The roost should be higher than the nest so the birds don't roost on or in it. They like to go as high as they can to roost. I would install a window with wire covering. Maybe replace the door with a door with hardware cloth for the summer months so they don't roast in there. Put that door on for the winter. I keep my birds food and water in the run.

Let see, 2 or 3 hens. I would put the roost at the opposite end that the door is, so on the 4' side wall. I would put in 2 rails so they can hop up. Place the nest boxes on the left of the door as you walk in. (in that corner) The roost should be higher than the nest so the birds don't roost on or in it. They like to go as high as they can to roost. I would install a window with wire covering. Maybe replace the door with a door with hardware cloth for the summer months so they don't roast in there. Put that door on for the winter. I keep my birds food and water in the run.
Thanks for that info! I think you're right...put the roost at the end of the shed (opposite from the door), put 2 nesting boxes to the left side of the roost toward the back. I think I'll put a slanted board atop the nesting boxes so they don't try to roost there. Then I would still have room for the feed/waterer close to the door but still on the left side. Then I can cut their little door to the run on that right-side wall....sounds pretty dang good to me!
celebrate.gif

Yes perfect! Put your run to the right. You want it off the high side of the roof pitch so all of the rain water doesn't run into your run. If you could attach a tin roof covered area with horse fence sides, (2x4 inch holes) that would be great.This is what I have. In the winter and the summer they dust bath in the loose soil. Then when it rains or snows they have enough space and fresh air. You will have a really cute set up. I wish you the best luck!
big_smile.png
Oh my husband has a cousin in Bend Oregon, are you near there? She has a horse and a mini Donkey named "BENNIE"

Last edited:
I know I'm probably nuts, but I've even bought curtains for the windows (I bought a 23' camper trailer) and pictures for the walls. I did have enough common sense to get them from thrift stores.

I wish I would've known about building the roosts towards the back, though. I'm storing feed and hay in the bathroom and the nesting boxes are in the "kitchen" because it's the darkest area, but I could probably have found a way to put them more in the back.

Cindie

Yes perfect! Put your run to the right. You want it off the high side of the roof pitch so all of the rain water doesn't run into your run. If you could attach a tin roof covered area with horse fence sides, (2x4 inch holes) that would be great.This is what I have. In the winter and the summer they dust bath in the loose soil. Then when it rains or snows they have enough space and fresh air. You will have a really cute set up. I wish you the best luck!
big_smile.png
Oh my husband has a cousin in Bend Oregon, are you near there? She has a horse and a mini Donkey named "BENNIE"
Am I near there???? I live in LA PINE just south of Bend!! Small world, eh?
wee.gif
But I'm going to use hardware cloth rather than field fence. Waaay too many predators out where I live. But I want to really, REALLY thank you for your comment about keeping the high side of the roof where the run connects...BRILLIANT! Hadn't thought of that...since we get a lot of snow here. Thanks again!

Have you decided on what breed you are getting?
Yes...I'm going to get Black Australorps. They have chicks at our feed store right now, but I'm not EVEN ready yet. But the owner said he'll be getting shipments from now until early May...can't wait.

I have some of those! They are very nice. I have one that sings sings sings! She also has the biggest roundest eyes. I love her. I have 8 more black Australorp chicks in the brooder right now along with several others. I am also constructing another coop. I have to fit 66 more, thats what in my brooder now. oops. My mom also wants a coop. She retires soon and that is on her list. She only wants a few for her own egg use.

Last edited:
I have some of those! They are very nice. I have one that sings sings sings! She also has the biggest roundest eyes. I love her. I have 8 more black Australorp chicks in the brooder right now along with several others. I am also constructing another coop. I have to fit 66 more, thats what in my brooder now. oops. My mom also wants a coop. She retires soon and that is on her list. She only wants a few for her own egg use.
Yes, I've heard that Australorps are very friendly, easy going birds. I'll need that as I can't get around too well, and don't want ornery hens!

Back
Top Bottom