Need Kid Opinion - Being too Heavy Handed?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No!!!!!!!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes with subsequent grounding

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other - Please Give opinions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    after almost a whole week of hibernation, I came out of my den today to find the house absolutely trashed. none of the kids have been doing their chores while I am sick in bed. Homecoming is tomorrow night and of course all my daughters have dates.

My problem is this. Everyone has chores. Kids, wife, me. Full stop end of story. nothing is done! The house has sort of a funky smell like the trash hasn't been taken out (which I did already) dirty dishes in the sink, and the floors haven't been swept vacuumed or mopped as far as I can tell.

One daughter was told to clean up her room before she left last weekend, and when she ran out of time I told her to work on it during the week. Not done, and worse.

I am thinking of grounding everyone and cancelling homecoming!

Here's my only thing..... I was very sick. h1n1 sick and stuck in bed for days. They all have some sort of cold which I got around Tuesday so I can sympathize a little bit because they weren't feeling well. I can allow them to slide for a day or so because of illness..... but all week?

I am writing to you from my kitchen for the first time since last Saturday. I will spray the Lysol as I leave and rant to my wife some more.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hell no! Yes to homecoming IF they get the place cleaned from top to bottom BEFORE the dance. If not, no dance. It leaves it in their quite capable hands. My son did the same thing to me after I spent a week at the hospital with Ken. Ants everywhere, three bags of trash, every dish in the house was dirty. The cats had shredded toilet paper all over the place. I was HOT!!!!!

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I sorta agree with Debiraymond.

They need to get their behinders in gear and get everything spotless before the dance. Then they get to go. Then they suffer their grounding afterwards.

I went to very very few dances, but then, I'm socially very backwards...

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Get 'em Boyd!! [​IMG]

I am serious about keeping the house clean here. I would make them all jump on it immediatly or no one goes anywhere! Soon as they come in from school. They should all be able to work together to get it straight in time to attend their homecoming...if not, they can stay and help you clean [​IMG]

I am sort of a strict mom though - [​IMG] I don't let much slide.

Hope you get to feeling better!!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Kids may be kids, but they still should have brains and COMPASSION for their parent sick with a potentially dangerous illness.

Let this be a lesson they will remember.

PS: They are not "owed" a good time by life.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    what about the kid who needs her room gone through?

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I'm with Debi...work first then Homecoming...just leave the girls enough time to do their hair [​IMG]

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Lock her in it until the rats scare her out.

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    You were in bed sick, where was your wife? Kids should do their chores without asking but they all need reminders at least occasionally -- and it sounds like yours pretty much have proven they need reminders to get things done. If your wife was around and didn't enforce the rules of the house while you were sick it seems at least a bit of the onus needs to fall other than on the kids' shoulders. If she asked them to do it and they didn't... well, I agree with grounding but also would add that there are much, much bigger household problems than some dirty dishes and leftover trash going on there.

10. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Let them go AFTER they get their butts in gear!!! You will be amazed at the speed in which they complete their duties! (maybe!) [​IMG] [​IMG] Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by