1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need knowledge

Discussion in 'Quail' started by luisranch, Mar 20, 2013.

1. luisranch

luisranch New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    I need to learn more about quails. I live in San Diego CA and what it start like a kids game is getting serious. We have 9 female quails and two males at this point. Males are getting aggressive between them not a big deal yet. The knowledge I need is about the eggs. The quails are starting to lay eggs and I need to know how to keep them alive if I want to produce babies. I'm pulling the eggs every day for now two to three per day. What or how do keep eggs fertil? Do a keep them outside, the cage, the fridge, where???? Please help now the kids want to see the babies.

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    OK, assuming that the males are doing their part, you will need to keep your eggs at a temperature of 55 degrees, plus, eggs will start to lose their "hatchability" after 5 days. My advice to you is to use the eggs that are being laid as omlets until you are really ready to hatch a dozen eggs.
    This link is a beginners guide to hatching eggs. It gives the basics on hatching eggs. Also, not the best quaility, but here is a video that also gives the "basics". If this is going to be a "one time hatch", this site here has instructions for a home made incubator, so you won't have to pay mega bucks for a quaility incubator.
    Good luck, and I hope the kids enjoy it.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    As James has said above, keep the eggs somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees F. Eggs can be stored for up to 10 days before they start to decline in fertility. The eggs are best stored in an egg carton, with the pointy end down. That way the air cell stays at the top. Give them a turn or twist, 3 times a day until you are ready to start incubation.

Oh, and welcome to BYC and the quail forums!

4. luisranch

luisranch New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Now the question is. How can I do this a natural? What do a need to do for the quail to do the mom thing

5. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    Unfortunately, they won't do the "mom thing". They have been in captivity for so long, that the natural instinct to lay on their eggs has been bred out of them.

6. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    The setting Coturnix is one in a million. A friend has had one hen in 10 years do it. The birds raised by the hen still have no inclination to do so.

7. luisranch

luisranch New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Holly mother nature. My kids won't understand that the mom is going to be an electric appliance.
    Thank you for the great answers and I be back with more questions as the arise

8. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    My kids already think I'm a "bank".

9. luisranch

luisranch New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Another concer now with the quails. Do male and females do make the calling noise or?

10. Females are quiet. Males make a garbled two syllable call that in my opinion is very pleasant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by