Need legal information. No electricity. Landlord holding off.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wunjo, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Wunjo

Wunjo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2013
    Monticello, Ky
    So we are going on 5 days without electricity due to a leak in the roof that fried the breaker box. We fixed the leak in the roof. It needs to be replaced and he is holding off. He himself is an electrician. He just finished school 6 months ago. He said it would be 2 weeks if he came and fixed it. He knows we cannot just up and move because we have goats and chickens. He ask us to contact electricians in the area. We gave him a list of 3 names after at least 10 calls to people. Most did not do contract work. We live in a very small town, not many electricians around. Someone came and looked at it and gave him an estimate. He told them he wanted a contract wrote up and mailed to him then he would decide if he was going to get it fixed by them. Our landlord currently lives in the state next to us. He can come down to party and drink with his buddies when he wants but he can't fix our electric.

We are currently spending $25 a day on gas to fuel a generator. Which he is not going to return to us. He just cashed the rent check for this month. He told us to go to a homeless shelter which there is none. We live in a very small town. We could go stay with my parents in the next county over and avoid the gas bill for the genie but then we would be spending that amount in gas just to take them back and forth to school. It's hard to find a place out of the blue to house 7 additional people. That is the size of our family.

He is our neighbors nephew and we get along with her so well. We help her out a lot with things that she needs done. We don't want to upset her if we enforce him to get the ball rolling. Or enforce him to pay us what we are out because of the living condition we are in. Or go to a motel and give him the bill.

Now legally we have no written contract for renting the home. He did us a favor and let us move in very quickly when we moved back to this state. We have been here for two years. We added on two rooms. We cleaned out his barn that had lots of trash in it. We cleaned out his two sheds. We put in new linoleum in the bathroom. We have repaired multiple leaks in the roof. Cut and cleaned up brush and weeds growing around the whole place. Cut a dead tree that was ready to fall on the house. Repaired broken water lines. Repaired toilet. None of this being paid for by him or any of the parts. I know it is going to cost him a lot to get the breaker fixed but we have done our fair share of fixing things. We told him we would fix all minor repairs on the home. He also raised our rent by 20% about 6 months ago.

Most importantly we have chicks in a brooder, teenager chicks in the shed, eggs incubating, and chicks that will be delivered tomorrow in the mail, and no real electric to heat them.

Just wondering what you chicken lovers think we should do? Or if any of you have legal information?

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    There has got to be a bureau in your area that covers rentals. In most places you can withhold rent as long as you deposit it in a separate account. A landlord cannot legally collect rent on a place that is uninhabitable. No electricity makes it uninhabitable.

1 person likes this.
  3. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Wow I am very saddened to hear what you're going through. When our rental had no running water for a day our land Lord put us up in a hotel . You unfortunately seem to have bigger problems. I'm sorry I have no advice for you. It doesn't appear that he is concerned about you and your family so I guess I wouldn't be concerned about how he feels when you contact housing authorities. I will pray for you and your family.

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hope someone here can help you with the legalities and that someone there can help you and your family out. The rental laws (especially when dealing with unwritten contracts) seem to vary so much state by state.

5. Wunjo

Oct 13, 2013
    Monticello, Ky
    We have been looking for another place to rent but it's hard to find one that will accept our animals and be a large house to boot. If we can find one quick enough we can use all that gas money we are using to pay for moving. Our son has autism and this no electricity thing has through him way off balance.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    How well do you all get along with your family the next county over? Maybe no matter what you end up doing, sit down with your family and write out the pros and cons of various options (ie. pursue legal action, move in with family, etc), as well as a plan for what you would do in each situation. It might help you all at least have a bit of organization in a very chaotic an unsure situation.

7. Motts

Motts Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    Okay....did you find this on your Internet searches? http://tenant.net/Other_Areas/Kentucky/ltguide.html

I found one yahoo answer that states that no written agreement is the same as a month to month but I would get clarification of this.

It sounds like you can pay for the repairs and deduct it from the rent. I would put this in writing and have it mailed with return signed receipt to prove he got it.

For kickers I would include any heaters, fuel, etc in the cost. You have a right to essential services, which include electricity. It sounds like your landlord is a scum bag. You need to look out for yourself and your family. Be nice to your neighbor, but this is not her problem.
    I would call an agency, even if it is to clarify your rights ASAP

Good luck.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Wish I could help since I am here in Kentucky. But we are about to move. Contact somebody at city hall or maybe even the media and let them know that your land lord refuses to help you guys. Are you guys looking to stay here in Ky and buy? There are some companies here in the area that will do land contracts and deal with folks that have credit issues. They have some decent places with acreage. Not sure if that helps.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Most states have free legal services, at least consultation for folks who qualify. I would start there first. Be sure you keep a paper trail of all the money you have spent, all conversations with your land lord. How do you communicate with him? If you can communicate with e-mail, that will provide an excellent paper trail. If you have not kept a written record thus far, you might send him a letter, either electronically or by registered mail detailing the date you lost power, the contacts you have made, the daily expenses to keep the generator going. Remind him that if you abandon the property, the pipes will freeze (hopefully it's still that cold) and he'll have an even bigger problem on his hands. Seek legal counsel, and if I were you, I'd be inclined to with hold rent and deduct my expenses from it. I'm sure with an autistic son, this is doubly hard for you. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

10. Wunjo

Oct 13, 2013
    Monticello, Ky
    Yeah we are planning on staying. We have a mobile home that is paid for but when we moved back here we had it leased to my uncle. We are waiting for the lease to exhaust and move it on another bigger piece of property because it is currently on my grandmother's land and she is wanting to sell her huge house and land because they are getting too old to take care of it all, and move a double wide in where it currently sits. It's just one bad thing after another. We made a down payment of $1500 on 8 acres of land back in April and spent $3000 clearing it and then the guy refused to sell it to us for the same price that we agreed on. Instead he wanted to do a land contract, and wanted 4 times the amount we agreed on. So we are in a loop with that now. He won't give our money back on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by