Need leghorns

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by AHappychick, Jan 23, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    looking for leg horns that lay a large egg (not medium) for a farmer friend of mine anyone have some???

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    no one has ggs or chicks of a variety of leg horns that lay the larger ones. The guy I am looking for said that he used to have them but has not been able to locate the type he is looking for. He knows most of the hatcheries and thought maybe someone here was breeding them focusig on egg size.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You probably can't beat the hatcheries on the leghorns for efficiency and egg size. The hatcheries would be getting the commercial hatching stock, not show type, so would be small bodied big eggs.

Smaller people probably focus more on the breed, and will go for conformation before egg size and feed efficiency. Unless of course the small breeder had commercial birds. I have had leghorns from hatcheries and they all lay jumbo eggs by the second year, and at least large the first year.

You might have to wait a year for the egg size to reach maximum from the leghorn laying stocks. They all start out "small" but get bigger over about 4 months or so.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I have white leghorns and they loay a large white egg. I sell the hatching eggs. Please pm me if you are interested. I sent you a pm and thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by