Need Loving Homes for 4 Hand Raised Cochin Frizzle Roos

lcourtaway

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
I got straight run day old cochin frizzle chicks in November and now have 5 juvenile 2 month old cochin roosters. I'm not even supposed to keep one rooster since it's against city ordinance but I have one that rarely crows so we're going to try him.
They are all very healthy with beautiful plumage and healthly weight. Two appear to be reddish and still not completely feathered out although all pin feathers are present and coming in fast. They have really cute crows. The other two are black and one has a little white along the edges as well.
I live in a suburb of St. Louis and would meet someone halfway if they were within a state or two of me.
I've grown very attached to these chicks. They're used to being held and loved and yet they seem protective of the hens and very good natured with people. All were raised together and so far continue to get along well.

if you feel like driving several hundred miles to sapulpa, ill take one!

lol.png

I might be interested, I need to talk to DH and make sure i can get them. I am in Marceline which is 4 hours from St.Louis. where exactly are you located? That might make a difference.

and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be happy to meet halfway to Sapulva Oklahoma! I can't go the whole distance but it is very important to me that the chicks have good homes.
I would also be happy to drive to Marceline Missouri. I am in a suburb of St.Louis right off Interstate 44. By the way...who is DH??
I want no money I just want loving homes where they won't be beaten up by other roosters, protected from predators and petted and interacted with.
I know I must sound like a freak but I have literally spent hours with these chicks feeding cleaning playing with them kissing and holding them. Several already do tricks, 2 roos crow on request, one can count, all will fetch and bring it back to you and they LOVE to play soccer with a ping pong ball.
If someone will take care of my guys and NOT EAT THEM, and keep them in a nice coop in a nice yard I would be extremely grateful and thats why I'm willing to do a little driving to make it happen. If someone is going to resell them or kill them later just forget it I'll keep looking.
These are THE SWEETEST roo's around. I promise you will fall in love with any one of them.
Thanks for both the replies. I hope to hear from you both again.

Hi. I live in Paducah, KY which is about a 3 hr. drive from here to St. Louis. I would be able to take one of your fellas if you could meet in in Mt. Vernon, IL which is right about the halfway mark. I have a covered run that is 150' long and 50' wide, and the chicken house is 9' x 14' with wide roost boards on 3 walls (one short board is on the wall with the big door opening). This run also encloses the original pen & coop area so they have places to explore and to separate out away from the group when they choose. I have 4 guineas, 6 RIRs, 6 BOs, 7 AustralOrps, 2 BRs, 4 Golden Comets, and 3 bantam BBreds. There are 3 standard roos (1 RIR, 1 BO, 1 BR) and one BBRed bantam roo. If you think that your cochin will be ok in this motley crew, I'd be happy to meet you. BTW, I wouldn't just toss him in; I'd make sure intros were done gradually, of course!
smile.png

CRTRLOVR- You sound like a perfect home!! Will you love em and hug and kiss on them occasionally? They really like to be held and petted and talked to sweetly. I would be more that happy to meet you in MT. Vernon IL. I am happy that the rooster would be introduced to the rest of the flock because these guys are so little. They have not been outside yet(obviously they have not had all their plumage come in yet. I have them separated in my laundry room and in my furnace room in large open pens with toys, shavings etc. so they are not acclimated to outside yet. I will be more than happy to keep the guys until they can go outside and the homes are ready for them. If you want him now and you have somewhere inside to keep him until the weather warms up thats okay too. They were born latter part of November so they are approx 2 months old. I have exact dates somewhere.
I can email you photos from my mac but I'm not familiar with BYC posting instructions yet. Let me know. Thank you again!!

I would not be able to take all four; that would really be pushing it with the roo/hen ratio even if I do get some more bantams, but I can take one, maybe two. Are you OK with separating them from their siblings? I was afraid I'd misunderstood and that you were wanting all 4 roos to stay together.
sad.png

ETA: all my critters MUST tolerate hugging and kissing from their mama!
big_smile.png
My 37 inside birds and my 8 cats just know that's part of the price they pay for living here with that crazy critter woman.
gig.gif

The outside chickens know that the woman who comes out the door almost always has something yummy with her, either in a bag, a pot, or her pockets, and they come zooming across the yard to be first in line. This of course means they're within the "scoop space" where I scoop up whomever's closest and cuddle them for a while. Some of them have caught onto this, and when not in a cuddle mood, they hang back on the outside of the cluster. Smart chickies!
big_smile.png
I keep a lawn chair out in the run, and when it's warmer outside, I sit out there with them. It doesn't usually take long for me to have a chicken (or two, or three) in my lap, one on my shoulder, and occasionally one on my head (but I try to discourage a head perch...) Like my siggy line says: Momma loves her babies! I have no intention of raising any birds for processing; I just love to watch chickens going about their lives. The eggs they lay are a nice bonus! I do my absolute best to take the best possible care of whatever creatures are my responsibility, or in case of the wild ones, provide them with whatever I can to make their life a little more blessed.
smile.png

Last edited:
My dear wife is going through st. louis this week and next.
I could only take ONE, we have an older cochin roo, but
not the frizzled. I am losing my cohin hens to old age and
I am heartbroken when one dies. Mine are all standard.
If need be, the roo can stay with the babies in the portable
building we have as a nursery. I have about 20 in there now
with a heater and it stays at no less than 40 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Volume 904- It was easy. I made sure I was the very first person they saw when they arrived at 2 days old. They slept by my bed in there "plastic tub brooder" for 2 weeks. In the evenings after work I would fall asleep with my hand in the tub. I'd wake up and they'd all be sleeping with my hand.
I played with them in the mornings b4 work and after work for several hours each night. I gave them lots of interesting "toys and objects" to explore and play with. Chicks are so smart and curious and they figure everything out so I had to keep fguring out stimulating activities for them. One day I let them walk through water based craft paint and make footprints on a big brown paper roll. They really had fun with that! after they all had foot baths, I let the sheets dry and we wrapped Holiday gifts in them. They have electronic winnie the pooh phones that the can peck buttons which makes voices and they pull on the curly cord, ring bells and "dial the number". They also have a piano that they run on and peck melodies on. Anyway, it was just tons of hours of playing with them and challenging their intelligence (because chickens get bored without something interesting to explore or do) but now the pay off is the coolest flock of frizzles! And they do more stuff and learn more tricks all the time. It's the most fun I've had since my kids were small!!!

Back
Top Bottom