need male cat/male dog advice please

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by heatherindeskies, Aug 6, 2010.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I've heard if you get a male dog fixed, he won't lift his leg to pee on everything in sight to mark territory. True or false?
    I've heard male cats kinda 'spray' when urinating, and this stops when they are fixed. true or false?
    getting another cat, and need to know about the males as I've only owned a female.
    thanks!~

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I think male cats can still have an odor. My old cat is 15 and I swear he is getting more and more like an old man . . .can't hit the box to save his soul and it has that smell to it. Male dogs still lift their leg, but I do notice that my Great Pyr is neutered and he is almost 3 and still squats to pee once in awhile . . .but I have also seen fixed females lift their leg to pee . . .sort of screws everything up I guess in some of them.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have a 4 year old male Lab mix who was neutered before 6 months and he sorta squats to pee, like a male puppy does (not as low as a female dog)
    I personally think it's embarrassing, but I wasn't the one who raised/neutered him so.....

I have heard that neutereing male cats helps if you neuter them BEFORE they start spraying, but some still may do it anyway. That's what I've heard anyway. I had mine neutered around 7 months old and he never sprayed, but it could be a coincidence. [​IMG]

4. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    If you neuter them BEFORE they get the idea to start doing that it greatly reduces the chance that they will learn to do so but it is not 100%. Especially with cats- they can spray if they feel their territory is threatened in any way and dogs are kinda the same. but if you keep them happy, healthy and strees free with plenty of play options and exercise you should not have problems. Make sure any females you have are SPAYED too.

5. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    whispering winds- get your cat checked by your vet. It could have arthritis so that it's difficult/ painful to get in and out of the box or it could be a health problem. Old age doesn't cause their urine to smell different.

6. heatherindeskies

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:Thank you! I have a 9 month old female, spayed/rabies at 6 months, and i'm viewing some kittens this weekend, so if i get one and choose a male, i wanted to know what I'm getting myself into. they will be barn cats, not declawed, with plenty of room to run. I like having 2 so they can play with each other...instead of my chickens!
    I had another female from the 9 month old's litter, but she was hit by a car. Of COURSE SOON AFTER i had her spayed/rabies.... [​IMG]
    I didn't get her locked up in the barn one night, and even though i mow my ditches for better pet visibility, it was night and she was black....

7. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    If the male cats are neutered at a young age before they start spraying its a real good chance he won't spray at all. Now if he has already started to spray and it hasnt become a habit yet then he may stop.
    As for the male dogs, after about 2 months after being neutered he shouldn't be so tempted to make his territory.
    I highly recommend spay/neuter at a early age. Where I work we do it at 8 weeks of age and they bounce back so much better then an older pet, they leave the clinic the same day like nothing has even happened!
    Good luck :)
    P.S.
    I also recommend adopting from a shelter ... Yes, I have to add that seeing I work in one :)

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Don't know about dogs, but I adopted a pair of cats abandoned by neighbors. The male was fixed as a small kitten. He still sprays, so he is not allowed in the house.

Imp- I think that's rare though

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. heatherindeskies

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:8 weeks? really? I've always heard 6 months.... and the 8 weeks can be done to a male cat? what is the earliest for a female?
    and I thought about the shelter too, but if i take somebody's unwanted kitten from an unplanned litter, I may be a step ahead before it gets to the shelter or dropped off somewhere....

10. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    around here the rule is 2 pounds or 2 months of age to be spayed or neutered on dogs or cats. I have gotten both types of animals that have been "fixed" that young and they havent had any problems, I know some people are against juvenile spay/neuter but in my experience I have seen no problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by