Need Meat Bird Suggestions

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mamdoe, Aug 4, 2010.

1. mamdoe

mamdoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Thinking about getting some meat birds...but I don't want to get the cornish rocks.
    Looking for something that will free range well.
    Suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. I've never tried them but
    Freedom Rangers

3. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    I have been really happy with my Freedom Rangers, they grow pretty fast. They get big. They forage and are hearty.

4. tomzr2

tomzr2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Have 60 Freedom Rangers I am processing Saturday. They have been a pleasure to raise.

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    You know that by educating yourself first [​IMG] by reading the positive result posts regarding the Cornish X right here on BYC forums, you will be more than pleased with the results. [​IMG]

6. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Where do you buy freedom rangers? I'm intrigued...

7. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Started the season saying "No cornish X's" and still ended up ordering 30 (they shipped 32) and all are in a very large tractor, moved often, and are all happy, healthy (and not nearly as yucky-for lack of a better word-than I had been told by friends) Actually not minding them at all and with all the helpful info on BYC they have been a joy. Hoping they make my freezer look as joyful.

8. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:JM hatchery sells "freedom rangers" but there are other hatcheries out there that sell colored (red and black) broilers as well. i think ideal may have them?

9. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:My cornish cross free range from 5am until we put them to bed around 9... for anyone who thinks they don't eat grass, rocks and bugs... I have the photo's to prove them wrong. My cornish are dressing out at about 7lbs

10. Mamaperreca

Mamaperreca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Missouri
    So when you are free ranging your Cornish do they grow as fast? Are they still ready for butcher in 6-8 weeks?

To the Original Poster: We had "Pan Fry Specials" aka Dual Purpose breeds (RIR, Astrolorps, Barred Rocks, etc) They took FOREVER to get to weight, but that is also because we were misinformed that they would take 6 weeks. So we were wondering what was wrong. Much like any grass fed animal they took longer to get to butcher weight than a strictly grain fed animal. When they were getting close to ready we quit free ranging for a few weeks to help them eat more grain and fatten up. That all said, we thoroughly enjoyed our birds. They were fun to watch and they would come to us for treats and all that kind of thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by