1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Need meat turkey info

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Azriel, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Azriel

Azriel Songster

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    So, I;m not sure I'm ready to jump into having turkeys here all the time, so I was thinking of just getting a few of the BB either white or bronze from one of the local feed stores. I know they won't grow as fast as the meat chickens, but how long does it take them to get to butcher size, and can they be butchered at a smaller size and still have some meat on them? I would like something smaller for my self, maybe 10-12# dressed, but I also need bigger ones for my BF's Mom, and my co-workers.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    My DD's showed the white market turkeys for 4-H. We would get them around March 1 so they would be ready by the end of Aug. fair. Our turkeys would weigh around 40-50lbs. I thought they would be really tough but they were delicious. So 24 weeks gets you that weight, so if you want smaller birds, just butcher sooner. I will tell you that a 10-12lb turkey will not have much meat on them. They are just not mature enough at that weight. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by