Need Metal Rabbit Cage Advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Heiko27, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Heiko27

Heiko27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    So for a long time I've wanted to get into rabbits and now finally have a chance. I want to do meat rabbits, don't know what breed yet. I've heard its best to start with a trio, so I need at least 3 cages. Also I want to go with all metal, as I really want them to last a long time and be easy to sterilize.
    I live in Eastern Idaho which has long cold windy winters, but I have a few different outbuildings where they should have some air circulation and light. I have been sitting on a small nest egg for them for a long time and want it to be spent well.
    My budget is 600- 700 for the cages, but I really want six quality cages and that has to include shipping/ anything needed to setup except for feeders/waterers, etc.
    I have heard debates about wether it is actually cost effective to build your own cages and I guess it depends on if you have cheap materials nearby?
    I found this site http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Stackable+Cages/default.aspx as recommended by some people on here. So 3 of their stackable all metal cages in the largest size 36 x 30 = 3.11 plus 15 for shipping. I like the metal urine guards they have too.

So what do you think? Is that a good deal for what I am looking for? Are there any other places people like to buy from? Or does anyone have any really detailed plans for stupid people like me that might be more cost effective? Or any other ideas?
    Thanks!

2. chiklee

chiklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Go real cheap find a old dog pen add wire around the whole thing and whammo you got a rabbit cage In my yard all of my rabbits are in my DYI cage cheap fast and reasonable the poop falls out of the bottom add a wooden box when they are expecting babies by one buck 2 does keep them separated .

3. Heiko27

Heiko27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks for replying! But I'm not sure how the poop falls out the bottom? Did you put wire on across the inside of it?

4. chiklee

if inside put a tarp under it and put a bucket under it save dodo for garden if out side it will fall out on the ground put cage on two boards and cider block to keep off the ground .

5. chiklee

again don't put the urine pans under the rabbits they rust badly I have 12 dog cages wrapped in wire on long boards held up by large blocks poop moves out freely if you have chickens they love to rake it . less spent on raising rabbits all more the better . They eat more than the profit at times Every one likes the little bunnies. I love raising the meat rabbits that's all I have is the big ones I have returning customers but you have to feed them out bigger the better sweet goat feed is my preference

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by