1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need more advice from any experienced chicken raisers....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by twinzmom, Mar 19, 2012.

1. twinzmom

twinzmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Saugerties NY
    We are now to the construction of our run and we want to make sure we make one that is big enough.
    Our coop is 8x8 and we were thinking we could make the run 8' wide and 30' long. Will this be big enough for 8 standard chickens who will be in this and a chicken daycare tractor daily? I want to buy the supplies soon so Ineed advice asap...thanks again!
    Carole and Jim

2. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I think this should be plenty of room. Our "big girls" run is 7 by 15 and this gives them plenty of room. Like many others, we also built our coop on 4x4 posts so there is also room for them to go under the coop to cool off, take dust baths, etc.

Gail

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    yep, plenty of room. they say they need about 4 sqft per chicken for the coop and 10sqft for the run.

4. twinzmom

twinzmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Saugerties NY
    ok thanks! I am just trying to make everything as right as possible...

Should i be giving them a place to take their dustbaths in the brooder? The girls are burrowing in the pine shavings and I am thinking they want some dust, what could I use for that?

5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I know what you mean about "right as possible" It took me forever to decide on the coop style I wanted. and then get everything to fit. I like to have more room for my girls they stay cleaner, less stressed, and calm. And me to for that matter.

Well...I do have a recipe. I haven't tried it yet. My ladies are almost 6 weeks old.
    I am going to put it in their new coop as soon as it is done.
    They are outside just about everyday now. and they have a hole for that already. (we have been digging worms)

I am going to make a box to put this in. I am thinking they will need extra room so about 18" or 20" square by 12" tall (to keep it in the box) & maybe 12" off the ground (to keep litter out of it)

Dust bath recipe
    1 part Diatomaceous Earth (suppose to help kill bugs)
    1 part Fireplace ash (sifted)
    1 part road dust (very dry dirt)
    1 part sand

The only concern that is popping up in my head is that it might get too dusty for their lungs in the brooder at this point.
    How old are they?

Mine are out side now and the breeze carries the dust away (some what) if they are too small and in the brooder.
    they might not get the air circulation needed for a dust bath. I don't know for sure. I didn't have any in the brooder.

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    You don't need anything in the brooder for a dust bath. Not saying you can't, but it's not required. They'll be fine with just the pine shaving bedding you have now. I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to giving my hens extras, especially when they're chicks. The only thing I give them in the brooder is bedding, water, feed, and a short piece of 2x4 on edge and nailed to a base board so they have something to jump on/off of and to perch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by