NEED MORE HELP PLEASE....What do you clean your cabinet bator with?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TACEYPERKINS, Jan 10, 2011.

1. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Hi I purchased a used gqf cabinet bator for a really great deal. Come to find out, when I went to clean it out, it had the remnents of an explodded egg in it. Along with alot of mouse droppings. I have gotten alot of the loose stuff out, by vaccuum. But now what should I use? The rest of the stuff is caked on!
    Any ideas?

What do you do to maintain it year to year?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    bleech.

Just make sure you rinse it out good & let it dry before you put in any eggs.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    10:1 water/bleach solution and in the case of what you're talking about I'd also add some dish detergent. Then wipe out thoroughly with just the plain water/bleach solution.

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

And make sure you clean the vacuum & replace the bag. Mice can transmit hantavirus.

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Oxine. I order it from revival vet supply. It's awesome!

6. TACEYPERKINS

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

Is there anything you do specifically before you fire it up every Spring? Maintanice wise?

7. TACEYPERKINS

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    anyone please?

8. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I just built mine - but I would guess you clean it out & run it for a couple of days before you plan to set the eggs

this way you can work out any issues with humidity or temps w/o harming the eggs.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:I give it a good cleaning then run it for at least twenty four hours before I set the eggs to make sure everything is working properly.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  10. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:X's 2 on the Oxine! Safer to use than bleach, no harmful odors. You can also get it from eggcartons.com. Just DO NOT get the activator crystals to go with it. You don't need them. If you use them, you have to use a NIOSH approved respirator to use it. Oxine is also safe to dip your eggs in before incubating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by