need more info about eggs, cleaning, bloom etc

clucknpecker

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
My gal dropped an egg in the mud last nite, rainy all day, egg resting in muddy area, tho not a puddle. So theres a bloom to protect the insides from outside contamination, right? So a muddy egg is np, right?

I need to better understand this bloom. Will it be compromised if i rinse the egg off under cool tap, then quickly dry it, leaving it on the counter for a few days? After all, its been overnight layin in the rain and mud, so whats to hurt by a quick rinse in clean water?

Im just thinking, if rinsing it is not good, then maybe if the egg lays in wet mud all nite i might as well discard it right away. Is this the case?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Cnp

Thanks nomnom, but doesnt answer my questions, nor help me better understand the full nature of the bloom.

Once it gets washed the bloom is essentially gone to my understanding. At that point it’s best to put in an egg carton and refrigerate it.
I’m not super knowledgeable about it I just know enough to make sure I store/use my eggs appropriately from researching information on the internet

If the egg's in the mud, I'd wash & be the first to use but still ok refrigerated, no different than poopy eggs. If it's been sitting/soaking in muddy water, I'd wash & in the frig but use it to feed back to my chickens. Yes the bloom "seals/protects" the inside plus there's the membrane but I'd rather be safe then sorry. Besides my girls love scramble/boiled eggs as a treat.

Egg sitting in cold muddy water overnight is NOT good eats! Pitch it, don't feed it to anyone.
One egg costs very little, and it's contaminated.
Some poo on a fresh egg can come off and be okay. It's the overnight in dirty water that's not fine.
Here I collect eggs often, wash them in warm/ hot running water, and refrigerate. The water needs to be warmer than the egg's temperature, and the egg shouldn't be submerged for a long time.
Water rinses off the bloom, so it's then gone, and lost forever.
Clean unwashed eggs do keep at room temps on the counter for some time, and that's how eggs destined to be hatched are managed. However, there's that saying that 'one day at room temperature is like one week in the refrigerator', and that works for me!
Mary

Once it gets washed the bloom is essentially gone to my understanding. At that point it’s best to put in an egg carton and refrigerate it.
I’m not super knowledgeable about it I just know enough to make sure I store/use my eggs appropriately from researching information on the internet
Ya but my question is this... whats the difference between me rinsing egg off under tap water, vs egg sitting out in the rain for hours?

Egg sitting in cold muddy water overnight is NOT good eats! Pitch it, don't feed it to anyone.
One egg costs very little, and it's contaminated.
Some poo on a fresh egg can come off and be okay. It's the overnight in dirty water that's not fine.
Here I collect eggs often, wash them in warm/ hot running water, and refrigerate. The water needs to be warmer than the egg's temperature, and the egg shouldn't be submerged for a long time.
Water rinses off the bloom, so it's then gone, and lost forever.
Clean unwashed eggs do keep at room temps on the counter for some time, and that's how eggs destined to be hatched are managed. However, there's that saying that 'one day at room temperature is like one week in the refrigerator', and that works for me!
Mary
So far, most informative reply. Thank you.
In spite of being Able to leave the eggs out, maybe doing so accomplishes nothing of value, ya? Maybe i just make it policy to bring them in, wash, toss into fridge and be done with it, remaining thankful maw nature has my back with her bloom. Til i wash it off, that is.

Just had me wondering why id need to leave unclean eggs on my counter, to what, prove a point? Again, thanks for good advice.
Just one teenie point... egg in the mud, not a puddle. Dunno if any diff.
Ty cnp

Back
Top Bottom