Need more Ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hckyguy77, Nov 30, 2014.

1. hckyguy77

hckyguy77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2014
    So this is my first coop I have built, Right now there is ventilation on the top as shown but should I add some on the front side also? I do not want to put any where the big coop is or above it since that is where the wind seems to come from the most. There are the two slots on the front that are open but I was not sure if that would be enough for the air ventilation. That main bar in there is not going to be the roost. I am going to make a few that travel across the short coop side, make 2 and then another in the back corner so 2x4 foot roosts and 1 that is about 30 inches long. Looking for any suggestions people might have and I do not really have more money to add to this coop so that is something to keep in mind, the tarp is there because otherwise the water would run right onto the egg box and I have not found the solution I like best yet. anyways here are the pictures.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    THis is the front where I would consider placing vents along the top as the back has.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are the slots in the front that allow some air to flow through.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    There are a couple things folks will be looking for information wise so they can answer you questions more accurately.

Square footage of coop?
    Number of chickens?
    Location you live in (hot climate? cold climate etc.)

I put tons of vents in my new coop and found that I had to close off most of them due to sub 0 temps and high wind.

If you add vents, my advise would be to make it so you can close them if needed.

edited to add....

I am thinking you need some hardware cloth on the inside of those vents since some critters can tear those off easily.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  3. hckyguy77

hckyguy77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2014
    Haha, I can't believe I forgot the obvious. So its 4x8 or 32 ft^2 with 6 birds in it. I have not placed them in there yet. I also live in the south western part of Idaho where the winds can go all day and sometimes night. As for critters we do not really have any predator issues, if we did I live near the desert so it would be coyotes or badgers but never in my life have I seen that. More likely to be noticed by cats, if any dare enter the yard since we have other cats and a dog that keep anything away. We have squirels (no idea how to spell that one) but nothing attempted to make a home when the top boards were not up and that was for many weeks.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Personally with that many birds in that size of coop I think you are good with what you have IMO.

I have seen the tree rats (squirrels) stealing eggs from my coop. My Delaware hen is quite the rodent killer and decimated the varmint.

Happy chickening! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by