Need multiple chicken family duplex or condo. Any ideas????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by erin0415, Jan 21, 2009.

1. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I want to separate my silkies out by colors. Has anyone seen economical coop plans I could make that would house 6 chickens max (but probably just 2-4) in each section and then give each group about 4X8 penned area to run outside? We let them free range when we can supervise, but have had too much loss from predators to let them free range all the time. I am thinking like some kind of chicken condo. Also, I was thinking about making 4X8 by 4 ft tall runs out of chain link and metal poles to make them more durable. Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds ambitious, git yer drawing pad and planning specs together!

3. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I so want one! Please post plans and pics!

4. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
  5. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    that coop is so cool, i may have to build one. [​IMG]

6. erin0415

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    Thanks Catalina!! That is the kind of coop I was wanting to see. I was kinda thinking of a long 2 story coop with each story broken into 3 sections. The top story would have ramps going down to a pen separated into 3 sections on one side, and the bottom story would have the same kind of pen on the other side. I was thinking about a 2 story version of the coop below, but with it divided inside into 3 sections. The only problem I'm having is figuring out where to put the nesting box in the middle section.

[​IMG]

7. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    The kids wooden playhouse would work. And look nice too. Here on forum alot of people bought the Lowes playhouses on clearance, including me!
    I am yet to get mine assembled by hubby and son. Will be 2 coops with a run between them for my silkies. Silkie shacks I guess.
    Using dog kennel pens like the smaller 6 by 8 by 4 ft. tall so more in scale with the coops.
    Or you can buy wooden doghouses off craigslist and raise up off ground on stilts so they can have area underneath for shade.

8. erin0415

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    Thats a good idea. I saw one of the Lowes playhouses when it was clearanced, but it was gone when I went back. This has been several months ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by