need my head examined...

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
We just had some wicked storms move through the area yesterday. Wouldnt you know it, I found 4 little creatures in the yard, under a tree. Tiny, wet, cold, eyes closed, only 2 inches long, but screaming bloody murder. Baby squirrels, we think. 2 died late yesterday, one died this morning. My friend Jen, is a wildlife rehaber, since she found a baby squirrel and nobody would take it years ago. Shes out of town for a week (thanks Jen) but gave me info on what to do. Hopefully I can keep it it alive until she gets back. So far its drinking from a nipple pretty well and going potty for me.
sickbyc.gif
We raised babies before, but they were bigger. I just hope it doesnt turn out to be a baby rat...

ha...if my mom's dial up was working faster I might have had something clever to say.
tongue.png
So is it a squirrel and is it still alive?

oh yeah... I was gonna ask if you had your head examined yet?

Oh she's still alive. But she ended up being a mouse. DH has named her Rat. We think she is about 2 and a half, maybe 3 weeks old. She is almost fully furred now, eyes are opening and she is getting her front teeth in!

I raised some mice ones. I soaked bread with waters down milk I think or it might have been milk replacer. Whatever it was they went after it like little mad men.

Have you ever seen "The Green Mile"? Maybe you can train your mouse, too!!
smile.png

Anyway, don't feel like you need your head examined-----I've taken in and raised almost any creature you can imagine (even raccoons
ep.gif
). I once made my DH go back for a small animal in the road---thought it was a squirrel----and refused to get back in the truck w/o it----"it" was a tiny baby skunk!!!! I said, "Oh, he's probably not old enough to spray anyway." WRONG The truck smelled so bad, my eyes were burning. But my sweet hubby still let me take it all the way to pick up the pizza and then back to our house (a 35 min. trip in total)! We gave it to someone with experience re-habbing skunks------couldn't take the smell!
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom