NEED NATURAL/Organic treatment for resp. illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamband, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have reason to believe that my flock has some respiratory illness after talking with some folks. Now my issue is the treatment recommended i terramycin which is an antibiotic and organic standards forbid antibiotics.

I have seen some remedies posted but cant seem to find any. Any suggestions for help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Grapefruit seed extract....someone recommended this to me when I had some sneezing going on. Turns out, the chick was alllergic to aspen! Hope this helps. Maybe you could search on this and see what comes up. Good luck!

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I have read here, can't remember thew thread, but it was:

Use natural apple cider vingear with"the mother" in it, cloudy vinegar found in co-op's or health food stores.

1/2 cup ACV
    1/2 teaspoon cyanne pepper powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt

heat all three together in a glass cup in the microwave for one minute. let cool and add to one gallon of drinking water. I had to put less than the 1/2 cup full in the water to get the girls to drink it. I give them ACV, one tablespoon per gallon of water about once a week now, it helps to prevent worms, CRD, and stimulates their immune system.

look up natural respiratory cures in the search to make sure I have the mixture correct, don't give them the salt for long, not good for them, you can make it without the salt if you feel you need to give it to them for more than a few days. good luck

also chopped garlic in their water can be helpful to them

4. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    VET RX is not an antibiotic... I put it in the water...

5. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I did see the vetrx but I couldn't tell if it met organic standards since the herbs in the formula aren't organic? It looks like a nice product though.

TammyE ..someone recommended similar so I am giving that now. along with probiotics. Thank you

6. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    thanks this has helped me too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by