Need opinion on broody hen and egg production.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tibor, Feb 1, 2012.

1. tibor

tibor New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    hi guys,
    I have four hens that i picked up a couple months ago. In their coop i have a light on a timer. Two of my four hens have been laying for a while now. Well one of my chickens went broody and doesnt want ot get up off the eggs. I want to get some fertilized eggs and have my broody hen hatch them for me so as an experiment i put a egg from the fridge under her to see if she would sit on it for a while. Well now since she is sitting on it for a while i am only getting one new egg a day and but it is always under the broody one.
    SO.
    Do you think the other hen is laying the fresh eggs and the broody hen quit laying since she has a egg to sit on constantly or vice versa.

Is it worth it to get some fertilized eggs and relocate the hen to have her hatch them?

Thanks

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    It is very possible that she stopped laying while sitting. Only get fertilized eggs if you want the chicks. :) If you're just looking to get her past the broody stage. Some hens get over it after nothing hatches for a while. Up to you really, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by