need opinion on call duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kristina, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    ok so first week of november I hatched a little white call duck. It seemed to be growing normally up until about a month ago. It seems to have stopped growing and it can't get wet ever! because it flops all over. It is completely feathered out but WAY to tiny to go in the yard with the other calls. Now I have hatched calls before so I know they are small but this is on the extreme side in my opinion. It seems his growth was stunted for whatever reason. His poor feathers are so dry and seem to have no oil. Is there anything I can do for that? Will this always be a special needs duck? Will he even live long? I just don't know what to do with him. He's already been through three sets of ducklings that have moved to the outside brooder and I have to keep him inside. any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I'm not sure why he just up and stopped growing. Without seeing him, I don't know if he is show quality. What I mean by this is, show quality calls are small(that's what you want) His bill would be short and his legs shorter than say breeder or pet quality. Have you tried a different feed? If not try something with a little higher protein content and something with more fat in it. He should show some growth with this. If not, maybe he is just a runt! That happens sometimes, I have one now but, she is doing well she is just smaller bodied than all the others. She is pet quality because her bill, legs, head and body is no where close to what would be considered show quality. I love her tho and she will be
    here till she passes. I'm not sure what is the problem with yours but, try the feed and keep him/her seperate from the others unless you have one comparible in size(it would not be lonely that way) Good Luck, Jeff

3. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Hey Jeff...I had hoped you'd come along. No I think it is just a runt. Not even showable lol. As long as we can keep it safe and healthy it will live here. I'll try up his protein and see what happens. I can get a pic later and maybe that will help. I don't know what I would keep him with as company...right now he hangs out with some regular two week old ducks but I absolutely have nothing that would stay that small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by