Need opinion on possible used sportsman purchase

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kbbeale, Jan 18, 2009.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    I found someone that has both a sportsman incubator and hatcher up for sale. They are in great condition and about 6 years old. I can get both of them for $525. I know this is less than just one of these suckers cost new. Anyone have suggestions or thoughts here? What should I ask them and what should I do to make sure they are operational and such if we go see them?

Thanks for your help.

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    you do not want to think about it just go get them, and hurry or they will be gone at that price

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I dont know alot about incubators, but I do know thats a great price for them both if they are in good condition.

4. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    [​IMG] I know. These are located 125 miles away from me, one way. I dont mind the drive. I have the money, but would rather not spend that big chunk of it before income tax gets here......which would be by the 10th or so of Feb.

Ugh. I shouldnt have gone out searching right now....LOL

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:I know how that is, if I start looking before Im ready to buy then I find a bargin right off. Then if I wait untill Im ready to buy, it takes me awhile to find what Im looking for. [​IMG]

6. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    you could say that you will take them but just need a few weeks to get stuff moved around so you can fit it in, it would not look like you are trying to wait until income taxes are over.

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I just bought a 7 year old sportsman for $300.oo I had to drive 167 miles one way for it.. I was happy to do so..

It had been updated with a solid state thermostat and an acrylic door..

there is not really much to ask about if you know what a sportsman is..

I would ask if it works and when was the last time it was actually used.. maybe ask why they are selling it?? the price is not too bad.
    but at the same time it should not need any repairs, for that price..

8. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    OK!!!!
    Here is the real question. Do you want or need that much egg space? Would you prefer something that takes up half the space (and holds half or less of that amount of eggs) and costs about the same price?

Personally I suggest that you:

1. Make sure that they work! [​IMG]

2. Pay the man! [​IMG]

3. And bring them home! [​IMG]

Litewings

[​IMG]

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It will be easy to check if the turner is working and it will only take a couple of minutes for the temp to start coming up if it works properly so just take about 10 minutes and check those, then give the man the $ and run with those bators! [​IMG] If there is anything not perfectly working it is all easily replaced by ordering directly from GQF, go for it!

10. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    If you are not familiar with the Sportsman incubators you might find it helpful to go to the GQF site and read through the instruction sheet to get an idea of what you will be looking at. Maybe even print it out and take it with you to refer to as you look them over. Make sure to ask for any egg trays or any other accesories that might/should come with them.

Here's a link to the GQF instructions.
    https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/Cabinet Model Instructions.pdf

hth db

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by