Need opinion on separation of hen and roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Addictedtothebirds, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Addictedtothebirds

Addictedtothebirds In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Pennellville, NY
    Hello. We will be bringing our roosters to the local farm auction next weekend. One is very mean and the other does not stop crowing. Our neighbors are very tolerant but no need to push it. That will leave us with 2 hens. One full size and one small, both are a year old. We have ordered 16 new chicks coming the 28th. My first question would be do you think it is still ok to free range my chickens with only 2 or when we are at the auction should we get some hens. We have 16 chicks coming but if we NEED hens(for safety) to hold us over what is a couple more? Also, now that there arent any roosters in the coop would we be able to mingle the chicks with the hens earlier or should we still wait 6-8 weeks. Both of the hens are very sweet and have never showed any aggression towards anybody or each other. Thanks.

2. cicene mete

cicene mete Songster

Jun 19, 2008
    I'll jump in with the question about integrating the chicks with the hens. Definitely wait until they are eight weeks old, minimum. Sometimes, the most docile hens turn out to be the worst when it comes to attacking younger birds.

3. Addictedtothebirds

Addictedtothebirds In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Pennellville, NY
    Yeah, I was a little hesitant to believe it could be that easy. We have only had the one set of chickens that we got all at the same time from a auction. We have never had to integrate any before. I have no problem waiting the time with the chicks. We are going to put a coop inside the coop and we hope that will help get them used to each other. As for letting them free range I dont know what to do. They love free ranging but I dont want them to be prey to something. Safety in numbers right?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Personally, I think it would be more a pain in the butt to get and integrate a few more hens. Adult birds seem to take a while to accept others. And two hens or 8 hens, I don't think the risk will be any less or greater for free ranging.
    As for the chicks, most don't recommend putting them in with adults until they are almost as big as the adults. But with such a small flock, and since you say they are pretty mild mannered, maybe they will accept them a bit younger, but I'd closely monitor the situation when that time comes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: