Need opinions about a older cabinet incubator and price to pay!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by asher, Jan 26, 2009.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    A lady I know has an older wooden G.Q.F. Manufacturing Co. incubator (out of Savanna, GA) for sale. It holds 18 dozen eggs, but does not have an automatic turner.

She said I can come look at it. (I won't be able to buy it until next Friday so hopes are, if I like it, maybe no one else will buy it before then! [​IMG])

Anyone know anything about it and/or what a good price to pay for it would be? I don't know a thing about model #, year, etc.

I won't state the price b/c I want opinions first. [​IMG] I'm thinking it's a good price, though, despite not having an auto turner. I will say I was offered a newer one for $100 more, but every bit counts right now. This is my one splurge for our tax return. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Does it have trays that tilt by hand or do you have to hand turn every egg?

3. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I believe it does have trays.

4. rebelcowboysnb

I think I would pay $100 if it had flat trays an $150 if they tilted. Just figuring the time an supplies to build something like it.

5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Thanks! I'm going to see it this morning. [​IMG]

6. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    The GQF are great incubators. Depending on the model number it might be a hatcher ?? If you could post the model # would be able to give you a close price. These things hold their value pretty good, not much to go wrong with them and can replace anything that does break easily.1200's models go for around 200-300 1500's models go for a little more 300-400, they sell for 600-700 new.

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Okay, just got back. It does have a turner, you have to turn the knob thing from the top. Has two incubating trays and a hatching tray on the bottom. Exterior appears to be red wood and there's a glass window on the front.

I am going to go back and get it when we get our tax refund. She wants to hold it for me (I guess since I've done stuff for her in the past?).

It's $150 and I'm fine with that after seeing it.

Thanks! [​IMG]

8. rebelcowboysnb

[​IMG]

9. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Okay, I have another question about this.

Yesterday when I was there, I noticed a small lightbulb on the back right side next to the thermometer (on the outside). She said it lights up when it's running, but it didn't so it must need to be replaced. Does anyone know 1)is it neccesary for it to run and 2)if so, does it need a specific type of lightbulb or can it be any one of the same wattage?

I've tried to find pictures of the same incubator that I am getting, but cannot find one anywhere.

10. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I am assuming you did a google image search.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by